chapter three

"𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐓!"

"𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐓!"

Grace ran into the lab, Jarvis right on her heels, to find Howard laying on the ground while one of his prototypes was on fire on the table. Using their usual 'Howard started a fire and hasn't put it out yet' tactic, Grace found the spare towels and put out the fire while Jarvis helped his employer up from the floor.

"What happened?" Grace asked her brother as he dusted himself off.

"Something blew up," he replied and she rolled her eyes. "We have really got to start sweeping in here more."

"You don't sweep," Grace told him. "Jarvis does."

"Oh, yeah..."

The brunette let out a breath and looked at her older brother. "Now, aside from nearly destroying your lab, what happened?"

"Well—"

"So sorry to interrupt," Jarvis said, returning with two envelopes in his hand. "There are letters for you."

"Oh, thank you, Jarvis."

"For, Miss Stark," Jarvis finished, nodding to his younger sister. Grace quirked an eyebrow upward and looked at the papers in his hand.

"Nobody writes to me," she frowned.

Jarvis shrugged. "Well, somebody has."

Grace took the envelopes from her brother's butler and looked at the front. One handwriting she recognized but the other she didn't. Figuring it would be safest to open the one she recognized, she sat on a stool and carefully slit the top of the envelope.

Gracie —

You're never going to believe who is a recruit in the group I'm overseeing. It's the man whose peanuts you caused him to drop. The blonde one. Steve Rogers. I'm afraid I don't think he's going to make it past basics, unfortunately. He seems entirely too out of shape to make it in the Army. Or he'll be killed first.

Then there's Gilmore Hodge. Do not get me started on him. He has too large of an ego for me to be able to handle — and I know your brother. He's narcissistic, but I got to punch him which was a bonus.

Grace chuckled, turning the letter over.

I'm writing to you because I've asked Colonel Phillips and Doctor Erskine if you might be able to visit the base at all. Yes, it is a United States Military base, but I have my ways. They said so long as you don't get in the way, you are free to come. If you'd like to, that is. Doctor Erskine has told Colonel Phillips about your inventing abilities and he seems intrigued.

I do hope you'll come. I've missed seeing other women.

Peggy

"Peggy wants you to visit?" Howard asked. Grace looked behind her to see her brother reading the letter over her shoulder.