chapter eight

𝐁𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐘 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐍 Steve Rogers since they were kids

𝐁𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐘 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐍 Steve Rogers since they were kids. He was the one who tried to keep the blonde from running into danger when he couldn't protect himself. Most of the time, it didn't work. After all, Steve had signed up to do an experiment that he wasn't entirely positive would kill him the moment Bucky left for England.

But throughout the entire time he has known Steve Rogers, there has never once been a time when Bucky would be teasing him about liking a girl. Or, a woman. All of the girls always seemed to gravitate toward him due to his size and muscles being more prominent next to Steve when he had been skinny and sickly.

That all changed after Steve rescued him from Hydra. Suddenly, his small, skinny best friend was large and muscular. Suddenly, he was Captain America, the war hero. And he had a crush.

He'd only met Grace Stark once at the bar, but even from that small interaction, Bucky could see that Steve was smitten. He wasn't positive, but he felt that Grace had an interest in his friend as well, though he didn't want to test that theory out of fear of being attacked with an invention she had come up with. She may not have been physical, but she knew how to hurt people.

"Come on, Steve, just tell her you like her!" Bucky exclaimed after listening to his friend talk about the inventor for the eighth time that week. "You've been telling me all of these amazing things about her, but you're telling them to me. I'm not Grace."

"It's not that simple, Buck," Steve sighed, slumping on the cot across from the brunette. "You never thought about what would happen if she didn't feel the same. Do you realize how uncomfortable that would be?"

"Do you realize how uncomfortable I am listening to you talk about her day after day?" Bucky retorted, causing Steve to glare at him.

"Because I didn't listen to you talk about whatever girl you were seeing for hours on end only a few years ago," he said, sarcastically.

"The point is, you really like her," Bucky continued, ignoring the blonde's comment. "And you'll never know if she feels the same until you ask her. What's the worst that could happen?"

"She doesn't feel the same, I've made our friendship very uncomfortable, and we'd still have to work together because we're in the Army and at war?"

Bucky blinked before shrugging. "See? What's the worst that could happen?"

"Bucky!"

"Steve!" he mocked, practically ushering him out of their tent. "Go talk to her. If anything, to leave me alone."

Steve let out a breath before walking out of the tent toward the Stark siblings'. Bucky shook his head at his blonde friend.

"Oh, my God..." he muttered. "I'm turning into him."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 very quiet man. He usually kept to himself and avoided talking to people so he wouldn't embarrass himself. He had never been a very social person, always allowing Bucky to take charge in any situation that involved interacting with people. But one thing to know about Steve Rogers was that when he set his mind on something, he wouldn't stop until it was accomplished.