chapter forty-one

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 the bed and her arm dangled over the side

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 the bed and her arm dangled over the side. She lifted her head and felt the empty side of the bed before sighing. "Oh, not again..." she groaned, slumping back on the bed. "I swear, there's something wrong with that man."

A few hours later, her alarm went off and with a huff, she sat upright in her bed. Her bedhead was going in all directions making her tug her brush at the ends of her dark brown locks in an attempt to look somewhat alive. When she was pleased with the little effort she had made to her appearance, she grabbed her purse and locked the front door behind her.

"Let's see who the unfortunate soul who was running at the same time as Steve is today..." she muttered to herself.

It had become a tradition for Steve to go on ridiculously early morning runs and Grace to sleep in. Once she had woken up fully, she would meet him at his running spot with a breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee. And usually, a cup of coffee for the person who had unfortunately chosen to run at the same time as Steve Rogers.

It didn't take Grace very long to find her boyfriend. He was the one who didn't look as though he had run several miles in under thirty minutes. The other man, however? He looked as though he was going to puke.

"You know, he looks better off than some of the others," she said, walking over to the two men with a tray of coffee in one hand and a bag in the other. "So how much did you run this time?"

"Thirteen miles," Steve replied, accepting the drink from her. "I got a late start."

Grace shook her head at the man. "I still think you have something wrong with you." She smiled warmly at the man and held out a cup of coffee to him. "I'm Grace, by the way. Accept this coffee as an 'I'm sorry you were outrun by a super soldier.'"

The man chuckled and he took the drink. "Thanks. I'm Sam."

"It's nice to meet you, Sam," Grace said with a smile before looking up at Steve. "Have you gotten your cardio in for the day? Or..." She cleared her throat. "Some of it, at least? Because I'm fairly certain you will get a text from a perky blonde in about two minutes."

He gave her a look and she smiled before nodding. "Yes. I'm done."

"So, it must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing?" Sam asked, walking with the two toward the curb.

Steve shrugged, wrapping an arm around Grace, letting it dangle on her shoulder. "Freaked might not be the right word... It's good to meet you, Sam."

"It's your bed, right?"

Steve turned back. "What's that?"

"Your bed," Sam repeated. "It's too soft. When I was over there, I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..."