chapter forty-four

𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐀𝐘 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 was not having a good day would be an understatement

𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐀𝐘 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 was not having a good day would be an understatement. Not only had he fought people who had believed to be allies in an elevator — and probably nearly killed himself in the process — he had no way of contacting Grace. Which meant he didn't know if she was okay, or if she even knew that SHIELD had been compromised.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asked, breaking Steve out of his daze and he glanced over at her before turning his attention back to the road.

"Nazi Germany," he replied with a sigh and the redhead nodded, impressed. "And we're borrowing," he added. "Take your feet off the dash."

Natasha obliged before turning her attention to the soldier on her left. "Okay, I have a question for you, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?"

"What?" Steve asked impatiently.

"Have you and Grace... you know... since you woke up?" she asked and he looked over at her with a weirded-out look. "What? I'm curious and I know I'm not the only one."

"Who on earth also wants to know that?" Steve questioned her with a frown. "And you're right... I'm not answering that."

Natasha shrugged. "Then that answers my question," she said and he rolled his eyes. "You didn't want to tell me. I'm not judging, you know. Everybody loves Grace."

Steve nodded with a small smile. "Yeah."

"Okay, new question," Natasha said he sighed, leaning his head on his hand while holding the steering wheel with the other. "Do you want to marry her one day?"

"Do we have nothing better to do than discuss my love life?" Steve asked, glancing at the red-headed woman next to him.

"Well, considering we still aren't there yet, not really."

Steve pressed his lips together and let out a breath. "Right now, I just want to make sure that she's okay. Especially given that the organization that she helped create has been compromised."

"For as long as I've been at SHIELD, she's always put everybody else before herself," Natasha told him. "Maybe too much to a fault. You should just make sure that she's not bottling up her emotions." Steve looked over at her and she shrugged. "Just a thought."

He turned back to focus on the road. "Yes." Natasha raised her eyebrows and he nodded. "I do want to marry her. Just... when the time is right."

Natasha smiled softly to herself before looking out the passenger's side window. She watched as the day turned into night and Steve stopped in front of the gate.

"This is it," he said, walking onto the abandoned military base.

"The file came from these coordinates."