chapter seventeen

"𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐒, 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋, and I want them now

"𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐒, 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋, and I want them now." General Gabriel turned around and saw Grace marching toward him with a furious look on her face. "It's been weeks. My nephew went to Afghanistan to show off weapons for your Army and he's still there. Where the hell is he?"

"Miss Stark, we..." He trailed off and Grace clenched her jaw.

"Listen up, General," she said, leaning down on the table. "I'm not Howard Stark's younger sister anymore. I'm Tony Stark's aunt. So you better tell me what the hell happened to my nephew. Right now."

"We think he's been captured by a group of terrorists," he replied and she crossed her arms. "We don't know where he is. His Humvee was attacked. The soldiers he had been traveling with were killed. We're doing everything we can, Miss Stark."

"Well do more!" she exclaimed in frustration. "The only reason I thought it would be safe sending him to that country was that the United States Army would be protecting him."

The General nodded. "And we did."

"Well not enough," Grace said, shaking her head. "I understand that you're doing your job, General, but I've already lost my brother. I'm not losing my nephew, too."

"Miss Stark," the General sighed, turning to fully face her. "I understand that you helped the Army during the Second World War, but we have this completely under control. We will bring him back, I promise. But we can't do anything to provoke them or it will start an unnecessary war. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

"No, but—"

"We will bring your nephew home," the General told her and she let out a breath. "Let us do our jobs."

Grace sighed and nodded, walking out of the conference room. Happy was waiting for her outside beside the car and he looked at her. "Any news?"

"They'll bring him home," she replied, shaking her head. "That's all they will tell me. Happy, could you possibly bring me somewhere?"

"Of course," he nodded from the driver's seat. "Where?"

"The city," she said, looking out the window. "I have an old friend to visit."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 months since Tony had been kidnapped and Grace was losing her patience. From the moment her nephew had been born, she promised she would always protect him. Their bond was more than an average aunt-nephew relationship. It particularly grew after the death of Howard and Maria Stark.

For the majority of his life, Tony's relationship with his father was strained, often feeling second-best to his business. And whatever slack was left by his father, Grace picked up. She was the one who attended every single one of his science fairs growing up. She was at all of his events and Tony would often look out into the crowd to find his aunt's proud, smiling face looking at him.