chapter nine

"𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐎 dinner?"

Peggy was standing in Grace's tent while the inventor frantically dug through her suitcase. She had received a frantic note from her friend and found her pacing the length of her tent, avoiding her large inventions.

"Yes!" Grace exclaimed, still digging through her clothes, which didn't have many options given that she never thought she would be going on a date at an Army base. "And I have nothing to wear!"

Peggy frowned before walking over to her nervous friend. "First of all, Gracie, you need to take a deep breath. Worrying will do you no good, darling. Secondly, of course you do. What about that red dress that you wore a few weeks ago? A little birdie told me Steve couldn't keep his eyes off you."

Grace pursed her lips before shrugging. "I do like that dress..."

Her friend smiled softly before pulling the dress out of the makeshift closet beside her bed and holding it up to the inventor. "It will be perfect. I'll lend you my red lipstick, you have heels. He's going to swoon."

"Does it seem strange that we're getting dinner?" Grace asked, fidgeting with her fingers. "I mean, we have jobs to do."

"No one ever said you couldn't have a little fun," Peggy replied with a wave of her hand. "Gracie, we're in the middle of a war. It's important to do something other than make bloody good weapons for the army."

Grace chuckled and nodded. "Okay. It's just..." She let out a breath. "What do you do after dinner?"

"Have you not gone out to a dinner with a man before?" Peggy asked, tilting her head. Grace shook her head. "Why?"

"Because when I was nineteen, Howard practically locked me in the house when he found out about it," she replied, fidgeting with the scarf around her neck. "I haven't told him about this."

Peggy nodded. "Smart." She smiled at her best friend. "Nothing horrible happens. You just get to know the other person and have fun."

"You promise?"

"You already get along with him," she said, shrugging. "You'll be just fine, Gracie. Now, let's get you dressed. I feel like a proud mother."

"I'm older."

"But I've gone on a date before."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐁𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 in his hand and watched his blonde friend pace in front of his bed. "This is ridiculous," he said, annoyed. "Why are you panicking? She's already said yes to dinner. It's not like you're asking her to marry you."

"Bucky, I don't do this very often!" Steve exclaimed.

"What, date?" Steve glared at him and the brunette held up his hands. "Sorry. Look, it's not that complicated. You take her out for a nice dinner, you pay for that nice dinner, you walk her home, and if you're feeling bold enough, you kiss her goodnight."