chapter twenty-three

𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐅 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 concept for Grace Stark

𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐅 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 concept for Grace Stark. She had had many experiences with it and they all came at different points in her life. The first time she experienced grief was when she was fourteen and her mother died from scarlet fever. She had witnessed how her mother's slowly slipped away before she was gone.

The second time she experienced grief was when she was eighteen and her father died due to alcoholism. There had been two differences between the deaths of her parents.

When her mother died, she was inconsolable for months. She loved her mother more than life itself. While her relationship with her father had never been a good one, with her mother it was the complete opposite. As for her father's death, as soon as she was informed by the doctor that he had passed away, the first thing she felt was relief.

Relief that her parents were reunited. Relief that he couldn't psychologically torture her anymore. Relief that she was free.

Then came her third experience with grief. Steve Rogers sacrificed himself to save the world and suddenly she was faced with another loss in her life. She had distanced herself from the people she loved most and spent the majority of her time alone, slowly coming to terms with his death. Though, she never did fully recover from it.

Her fourth experience was with Colonel Chester Phillips. He had been the first person to give her a chance when it came to her inventions. He didn't know what she was capable of doing, but he supported her. He became like a father figure to Grace and when she learned of his death, it hurt more than she thought it would.

Her fifth and sixth experiences came in the form of Howard and Maria Stark's death. As fractured as her relationship with her brother had been, he was still her brother. Her first friend. The person who always promised to be in her life. She expected to live a long life with her brother in it, but that was taken from her. But she bottled up her emotions to remain strong for her nephew who was heartbroken to have lost his mother.

However, nothing could have prepared her for the grief of a living person. How much it hurt to watch somebody she loved slowly slip away from the world. How she would tell the same story multiple times and the other would react as though it was told for the first time.

Nobody prepared Grace Stark for how hard it would be to live through life while Peggy Carter slowly slipped away.

~~~

"𝐎𝐇, 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄, 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃." 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 looked up when she heard her name and she saw Howard walking toward her with a brunette woman behind him. "There's somebody that I want you to meet. Grace, this is Margaret Carter. This is my younger sister, Grace."

"Call me Peggy, please," Peggy said, her accent piercing through the air and Grace grinned softly at the woman. "Your brother has told me so many wonderful things about you."