chapter twenty-five

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 made had nothing special about it

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 made had nothing special about it. It made the faintest spark of electricity. Nonetheless, Grace was happy with it. She had never been formally taught how to make weapons or anything about science. Everything she knew was from reading the books Howard had forgotten when he left home.

Grace spent many nights under her bed with one of the books spread out in front of her. Her bedroom door was barricaded with her dresser and would hear banging until eventually, her father fell asleep; usually on the couch.

For Grace Stark, science was never a way to make a name for herself or find a career. It was to escape her reality. Whenever she opened the book, everything around her disappeared.

She didn't really know when her passion for making weapons began, but she learned quickly after leaving the Lower East Side of New York for Howard's new house that she had a talent for it. She just never had a reason for making them. Until Colonel Chester Phillips approached her, that was.

What started as a passion soon turned into a career for Grace Stark. Her weapons started to get used in the war and she was sent all over the world to supply them. It was the reason she got to know Steve Rogers better. If it hadn't been for her silly passion, who knows what her life would have been like.

Soon, the name Grace Stark became synonymous with weapons. Her name was connected to the United States forever. Whether it was whenever somebody mentioned the Second World War or if Stark Industries was brought up in a conversation.

Weapons made Grace Stark a name worth remembering. And it all started because she needed an escape.

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐈𝐗 months since Tony announced to the world that he was Iron Man and Grace found herself sitting in Washington next to Pepper while the many politicians at the front were trying to get Tony's attention.

"Turn around!" Grace hissed at him and he pretended not to hear her. "Anthony, turn around and pay attention, right now!" He brought a hand to his ear and she clenched her jaw. "I wish you weren't too old to ground."

"Oh, please do," Pepper said with a sigh after trying to tell him the same thing. "He's not taking this very seriously."

"Mr. Stark, could we pick up now where we left off?" Senator Stern asked. "Mr. Stark. Please."

"Yes, dear?"

Grace blinked. "Did he just say 'yes, dear' to a United States Senator?" she asked Pepper. "At a hearing?" Pepper nodded and the brunette let out an exasperated breath. "Is this a Stark family trait?"

"Well, you're not like this," Pepper replied with a shrug. "So maybe it's just a... Tony trait?"

"Tony and Howard," Grace reiterated, shaking her head. "Although, at least Tony actually showed up. Howard just gave the government the middle finger and fled the country. I still don't know what Maria saw in him..."