chapter forty-nine

𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 thing to know about Tony Stark, it was that if he could find a reason, he would throw a party

𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 thing to know about Tony Stark, it was that if he could find a reason, he would throw a party. With the Avengers' recent success at taking out Hydra bases, it was cause to celebrate and everybody was gathered at Avengers Tower for the party. Grace had been to many of his parties in her lifetime and always shook her head at how extra he was.

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right?" Grace and Maria were standing at the bar with Tony and Thor listening to Rhodey's latest story. "So I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, 'Boom! You looking for this?'"

Thor and Tony stared blankly at the man and Grace leaned toward them. "This is where you're supposed to laugh," she whispered.

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked.

Rhodey nodded. "Yeah, it's a War Machine story."

"Well, it's very good then," Thor said with a laugh. "Impressive."

"Quality save," Rhodey deadpanned before looking at Tony. "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"

"No."

"Hey, what about Jane?" Maria asked, turning to Thor while Grace slid the olive of her martini off the toothpick. "Where are the ladies, gentlemen?"

Rhodey nodded. "Yeah, are you telling me that Cap is the only one to have brought a date?" Grace furrowed her brow and looked at him. "And a great date, he brought, too," he added, clearing his throat.

"Nice save."

"Well, Miss Potts has a company to run," Tony said in response to Maria's question.

Thor nodded. "Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in," he added. Grace looked between the two men and shook her head. "Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer."

"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on earth," Tony bragged while his aunt rolled her eyes. "It's pretty exciting."

Thor cleared his throat. "There's even talk of Jane getting a... um, uh... Nobel Prize."

Grace looked at Maria. "You just had to ask, didn't you?"

"Yeah, they... they must be busy because they'd hate missing you guys get together," Maria said before faking a cough. "Testosterone! Oh, excuse me."

"Lozenge?" Rhodey offered as they walked off and Grace looked at the men.

"You're both a real prize," she muttered, following Rhodey and Maria.

Rhodey looked at her. "You know I was kidding about the whole 'Steve being the only person who brought a date' thing, right?"

"Whatever you say, Rhodey," Grace replied, getting a new drink and leaning against the bar top. "But just so we're clear about one thing... I picked the best one."