chapter fifty-two

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 porch of the Barton's farmhouse and watched as Steve and Tony chopped wood a distance away

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 porch of the Barton's farmhouse and watched as Steve and Tony chopped wood a distance away. She tilted her head at Steve; seeing him with his usual tight shirt that accentuated his muscles.

"You're staring."

Grace looked behind her and saw Laura standing in the doorway. "Can you blame me?" she asked with a smile as Laura sat down next to her. "I'm sure you've been caught staring at Clint many times before."

"No comment."

Grace chuckled softly and looked over at Laura. "How is everybody?" she asked. "The kids seem happy. I take it that means there's been no trouble."

"None to report, ma'am."

She shook her head. "I'm not your boss anymore, Laura,' she said, patting her hand. "It's just Grace now. Who knew that SHIELD was the place to meet your future husband."

Laura shrugged. "Didn't you meet Steve while in the SSR?"

"Technically, I didn't work for the SSR," Grace said slyly. "I was employed by the US Military. But sort of."

"How about the two of you?" Laura asked and Grace looked at her. "Are you two thinking about settling down anytime soon?"

Grace shrugged. "We haven't talked about it. At least, not... not directly. Maybe indirectly in passing. He's just so busy with the Avengers and trying to find his friend. But I want it. I've always wanted that."

"You've lived a long life, Grace," Laura said, standing up. "If anybody deserves to live a quiet life, it's you. Complete with the kids and chaos."

Grace smiled softly as Laura walked over to the two men. She looked down when she felt her phone vibrate. "Hello?"

"You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?" Tony asked as he and Steve continued to chop the wood.

"Well, I guess you'd know," Steve replied. "Whether you tell us is a bit of a question."

"Banner and I were doing research," Tony said.

"That would affect the team!" Steve argued.

"That would end the team," Tony corrected. "Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the 'why' we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?"

Steve broke apart a log of wood with his hands out of frustration and Tony looked at it. "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark," Laura said, interrupting the two men. "Uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought maybe you might..."

He nodded. "Yeah, I'll give her a kick." He looked at Steve as he started to leave. "Don't take from my pile."

Steve rolled his eyes and was about to continue chopping when he saw Grace walking across the yard with a distressed look on her face. Dropping his axe, he walked over to her. "What's wrong?" he asked and her head shot in his direction. "Are you crying?"