chapter forty-seven

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 the kitchen of her New York apartment, watching the eggs cook in the pan, when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 the kitchen of her New York apartment, watching the eggs cook in the pan, when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist. "What are you making?" Steve asked as she looked back at him, kissing his nose.

"What does it look like?" she replied, turning the eggs over. "I'm making pancakes. I thought it was obvious."

Steve rolled his eyes. "Haha. Very funny."

"I thought so," she said with a smile before sighing when Steve stole her spatula. "Since when have you become so playful?"

"Maybe I've always been playful," he told her and she tilted her head. "We just couldn't do anything while living in tents and fighting a war."

Grace nodded, clicking her tongue. "I always thought you said you weren't a ladies' man. And a little birdie told me that you were freaking out before our first date."

"Who told you that?" he asked.

"Who do you think?" she retorted, leaning against the countertop with a smirk. "Besides, we can't do anything. Addy and Sam are gonna be here any minute. Why do you think I've prepared a breakfast feast?"

Steve kissed her neck as she turned back to the stove. "Then cancel."

"We can't cancel," she argued, shaking her head. "You're the one who invited her over. Said that even if she isn't a SHIELD agent, she should still stay in shape."

Steve furrowed his brows. "Then why is Sam coming?"

"I needed the company," she replied with a shrug. She turned back and held up a plate to him. "Here. Eat something so you don't pass out from exercise."

He sighed and took a bite of the omelet. "Happy now?"

"Very."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐒𝐀𝐌 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐓 on the couch and watched as Adelaide collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily. "Okay, okay, I surrender!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands over her head while her blonde hair stuck to the back of her sweaty neck. "Why do I keep agreeing to this? Every time I spar with you, I end up regretting it."

"It's good for you to stay in shape," Steve said, holding out his hand for her. She looked over at him with a tired expression. "Okay, I might have pushed you a bit too much."

"'A bit'?" Sam repeated making Steve look over at him. "She started turning into a tomato about four minutes into the workout."

Grace nodded. "Yeah, you are aware that not everybody is a supersoldier, right?"

"Okay, okay, I get it, I make things too hard," Steve said with a sigh as Adelaide pushed herself into an upright position. "I just have a lot of things on my mind."