01. curiosity

Katherine and her mother ate breakfast in silence. With Kat being an only child it was very easy for the Vu house to get quiet, not to mention Kat and her parents were all introverts. Kat and her parents didn't have a cold relationship, they just didn't have a close one. Growing up Kat always felt distant from her parents, they would never joke around or laugh together, and most of their time was filled with silence and emptiness.

"When is dad coming back?" Kat asked. She didn't mean to break the perfect silence, she was really just curious. Her dad had been gone all summer and she wasn't sure why, but her mother wouldn't tell her so she didn't ask. She just assumed it was work or something.

"I'm not sure." Her mother answered vaguely.

Katherine just nodded in acknowledgment and continued to eat.

When Kat was done eating she excused herself and went up to her room. Her room was where she spent most of her summer. 

Summers were always lonely for Kat, but she liked it. She liked having time for herself. She would usually draw or read in her room alone all day. She never found herself traveling or going to the city like other kids her age would do, but she was okay with it, she knew one day she would be able to do all those things too, all by herself.

"Katherine! It's time to go!" She heard her mother's voice call out from downstairs.

"Coming!" She grabbed her luggage and went downstairs.

"Are you sure you have everything?" Kat's mother asked.

The station was filled with students' chatter and steam from the train. Kat observed as the mothers and fathers of the first years teared up as they saw their children leave for what would be the next era of their life. School years could either be filled with laughter or tears. Nobody really knew ahead of time. Maybe that's why their parents were crying, or maybe they just didn't want to let them go yet.

"Yes." Kat nodded.

"Okay." Her mother nodded along before continuing, "Stay safe okay." She said a little more nervously than before. Kat could hear her voice getting shaky.

Kat just nodded, wondering why her mother was suddenly acting this way.

Before Kat could reply her mother pulled her into a hug, it was unexpected but nice. Kat never got many hugs. She wasn't sure why her mother was getting emotional but she returned her mom's embrace without question.

"Your father- and I, have something to tell you when you come back for Christmas." Her mother said wiping away a tear building up in her eye.

"O-okay," Kat said, getting a little nervous this time.

"Bye then." Her mom said taking one last look at her daughter before leaving quickly.

Katherine was left standing there alone, looking at the back of her mother who seemed to be in distress. Kat knew her mother wasn't one to cry easily especially not just to say goodbye to her daughter. She wondered what her mother could possibly plan to tell her that required her father to be home too. What could possibly be that bad?

"Kat!" A voice cut through her thoughts and returned her attention to her two friends running towards her.

"I missed you so much!" Ayla said while bringing her into a hug.

Ayla Kai and Blair Avery, Kat's best friends.

Blair was very talkative and charismatic, coming from a long line of purebloods she was sorted into Slytherin but she didn't mind, she thought her house fit her quite well actually, but she certainly did not agree with her parent's cruel mindset.

Ayla Kai was sweet and unexpectedly loud, she had transferred to Hogwarts two years ago and happened to be sorted into Slytherin. She had Slytherin traits but anyone could be fooled that she was a Gryffindor. 

Kat had met Blair in their first year and the two girls became friends quickly. Ayla transferred in their fourth year. She was seat mates with Kat in Potions and the two became close. Later Kat introduced the two to each other and the two became Katherine's most beloved friends.

"How was your summer?" Kat asked breaking away from the hug.

"Meh, it was fine." Ayla shrugged. "I was just home all summer. I'm not sure how my brothers manage to get more annoying every year." She sighed.

"You see this." She pointed at her uneven hair, "Caleb cut it when I was sleeping."

Kat and Blair giggled. They knew about Ayla's younger brothers, all four of them.

"What about you Blair?" Kat asked her other friend.

"It was amazing!" She exclaimed. "I went to New York with my grandma and it was so big and fancy!"

"How do you manage to have the best summer every year?" Ayla said and Kat nodded in agreement.

"Wanna switch lives?" Ayla asked jokingly.

"That's if you can deal with the world's worst parents," Blair replied.

"Never mind." Ayla quickly said and Kat laughed at her friend.

They also knew about Blair's scary family. Her parents were pureblood supremacists and they weren't very loving to their daughter.

Just as her friends were bickering about who sent more letters during the summer, Kat felt someone looking at her, which she probably would've noticed earlier if she wasn't busy with her friends. She turned around the meet the eyes of the infamous Remus Lupin. Kat knew about the Marauders, everyone did. They were only the most famous friend group in all of Hogwarts.

Remus's eyes widened a bit when her gaze met his but still, his eyes didn't leave hers. He had seen her before but she didn't know who she was, he seemed to be too busy with his friends to catch her name. Soon he looked back at his friends like nothing had happened, and maybe nothing did, maybe they were just two curious people looking at each other.

Remus didn't just happen to randomly be looking at her. What caught his attention was a crying woman who seemed to be in her 40s rushing out of the station. Remus looked back at where the crying woman was coming from and saw a girl standing there in confusion looking at the woman who was walking away. She was in his year, her name was Kaitlyn or something. He didn't know much other than she was in Ravenclaw. Soon the girl was surrounded by two girls who were also in his year, he only recognized the Avery girl though.

He didn't mean to stare at her, he just let his curiosity get the best of him. Just then he found the girl looking right back at him. She didn't smile but she didn't look mad either, she was just...looking at him. It wasn't awkward, it was quite strange actually like they'd seen each other before like there was a sense of comfort. Remus finally broke eye contact, shook off his curiosity, and followed his 3 friends into the train.