17. protector of love

"Kat, at what time do you want to meet up today?" Lily asked the girl who sat across from her. It was getting usual for Kat to sit with Lily and Marlene along with some of the other Gryffindors for breakfast, it felt strange sitting alongside so many people she didn't know but they didn't seem to mind.

"Huh?" Kat looked up at Lily, not exactly sure what the red-haired girl was talking about.

"Don't tell me you forgot about our study session." Lily tilted her head with a small grin hinting that she wasn't completely serious.

"Oh yeah, right." Kat suddenly remembered and thought for a second. "What about after our last class?"

"Sure!" Lily nodded.

To be completely honest Kat did not remember their study session at all, she had been quite out of it since yesterday after her conversation with Remus. She would take small glances at him trying her best not to be noticed, and Remus didn't seem distraught or sad, in fact, he looked the same as every other day.

"We should get to class now." Lily pointed out and Kat nodded in return. "Marls! C'mon!" Lily tugged on a sleepy Marlene's arm. Marlene groaned before getting up and heading over to charms class along with Lily and Kat.

Charms.

Kat was absolutely not looking forward to charms class. The class where she would have to awkwardly sit next to the boy who said they wouldn't be friends anymore. She quietly followed Marlene and Lily into the classroom and after exchanging a few goodbyes, she made her way to her desk.

Remus was already there, and he was looking down at a book placed on the desk. His head went up when he noticed someone approaching him but it quickly went down when he noticed Kat and how close she was.

Kat pressed her lips in a thin line and hesitated before sitting down beside him. Both of them not daring to say a word. She awkwardly settled herself in her seat and glanced beside her but Remus was back to reading his book.

The rest of the class, Kat and Remus were completely silent. Neither of them said anything and a heavy, awkward mood settled itself between them.

Soon professor Flitwick dismissed the students and Kat tried her best to leave the room as soon as she could. She quickly picked up her books and rushed out into the busy halls.

Remus stood up as well and he let out a small sigh after Kat was gone, feeling a little relieved that the tense air was lifted. He also packed up his things and made his way out. He looked around the hall filled with students and he quickly caught up to James who was a few steps ahead of him.

"Hey, Moony." James greeted.

"Hey," Remus said in return.

The two boys walked in silence for a while, confidently making their way through the busy hall. "So why were you and that Katherine girl super awkward today?" James asked making Remus face him with widened eyes.

"Have you been watching me?" Remus asked.

"No!" James swatted his hands, showing that he definitely wasn't. "Maybe." He quickly said.

"Mind your own business, James," Remus said back.

James raised an eyebrow playfully, "Defensive are we?"

Remus rolled his eyes and James let out a small laugh. "C'mon Remus just tell me why," James whined.

"Why what?" Peter had caught up to them now and was walking beside them.

"Why Remus and Katherine were bloody awkward today," James replied and Remus sighed, not impressed by his dramatic words.

"We weren't that awkward." He defended.

"You were."

"It was 'cause they were arguing yesterday," Peter added making Remus's head snap towards him.

"What?" Remus asked coldly and Peter laughed in nervousness. "Sorry." He let out sheepishly. "I didn't mean to listen to you know! I just happened to."

"You bloody git! Is that why you said you had something to do before going into the common room." James added making Remus glare at Peter once again.

"Okay, fine! I went over to listen to you on purpose!" Peter exclaimed in defeat.

"Pete!" Remus whined.

"I'm sorry okay?!" Peter grumbled.

"Wait-" James suddenly said, remembering what Peter had said earlier. "You and Vu were arguing?"

"Well, we weren't really-"

"Why?" James asked.

"Well I just told her we shouldn't really hang out anymore and that this is all just a bad idea-"

"Are you mental?!" James exclaimed.

"Well, I did it because-"

"Snap out of it Moony." James turned to Remus. "You like her right?"

"Well, I never really said that-"

"So you can't just break things off with her! You like her, I know you do. Now whether it be romantic or platonic, that's all up to you. But I know you like being with her Remus. So you will go back and fix everything with her!" James demanded.

"What? But-"

"No, but's." James shooed him away. "Go."

Remus sighed in defeat and walked off, having no other choice. It was either walk away or get scolded more by James Potter.

"Good luck Remus!" Remus heard Peter call out to him and he just waved a tired arm in return. Once Remus was out of the boy's sight Peter turned to James. "That was great."

"Huh?"

"Your speech," Peter said.

James grinned proudly. "Well, I am I protector of love, Pete."

"I was truly touched." Peter put a hand up to his heart and wiped away a fake tear.

"You and many others Pete." James ignored the boy's sarcasm and walked on proudly.