10. slug club party

"Just wait till I'm done your gonna look so pretty," Marlene said happily as she did Kat's hair

Kat watched as Marlene did her hair and Lily put on sparkly eyeshadow. Lily had put on songs on her strange muggle device which Kat was very curious about but didn't ask any questions about. The music filled the room while Lily occasionally sang along and Marlene was too busy doing Kat's hair to pay any attention to the music.

"Done!" Marlene said.

"You look so pretty!" Lily exclaimed and Kat's cheeks turned pink.

She looked at herself in the mirror and she observed herself for a while. It was the first time she had felt pretty in some time. Her hair was half up and held up with a baby pink ribbon that matched her dress. Her makeup was nicely and simply done which complimented her features.

"Thanks, Marlene." Kat smiled and Marlene smiled back.

"Are you ready to go Kat?" Lily asked.

"Yep!" Kat replied.

"Let's go then!" Lily smiled.

"Bye, girls! Behave yourselves." Marlene joked.

"We will!" Lily rolled her eyes and dragged Kat out of the room with her.

The pair walked side by side with each other. They both didn't have a date so Lily found it better to go with Kat as friends.

"Emmeline Vance is gonna be there." Kat reminded her. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather be with her instead?" She asked.

"And get friend-zoned? No thanks." She laughed. "Plus I like spending time with you." Lily gave Kat a grin.

"Well if Emmeline is by herself you have to ditch me," Kat told her. "I'll be fine alone."

"She probably has a date already to be with her," Lily said and Kat swore she saw a bit of sadness in her eyes. "Plus I don't know how she'll react if I ever tell her I fancy her."

"She'd be absolutely bonkers to turn you down," Kat said and Lily laughed a little. "Thanks, Kat, you're a good friend." Lily grinned.

Friend. Nothing made Kat happier than hearing that word. She didn't feel as lonely as before. The word made Kat smile like a little girl, everything was easier with a friend.

The two entered the quite loud party and Slughorn approached the two girls.

"Hello, girls! I'm glad you could make it." He said in a bright voice.

"Hello, Professor." They both said.

"Do enjoy yourselves!" He told them with a wide smile and they both nodded.

The two stood near a corner of the room which was very cozy and quite empty. The two girls were talking when Kat's gaze was caught by Emmeline Vance who was wandering by herself.

"Hey Lily, you should go with Emmeline she looks like she's alone," Kat said.

Lily looked around to see that Emmeline was indeed all by herself. "Fine." She sighed. "But I'm only going because Remus has been staring at you for the last 30 minutes." She smirked before rushing off leaving Kat flustered.

Kat hadn't even noticed when Remus got there or maybe he was there before her. For the first time, she was too busy with herself to look around and see everyone else. Her eyes quickly looked around the room and her eyes fell on Remus who was standing on the other side of the room. To her surprise, he wasn't looking at her and was rather talking to a Hufflepuff girl who Kat had seen around a few times.

He seemed to be quite interested in whatever she was saying judging by his wide smile and his gaze that didn't seem to leave the girl. Kat felt the strong urge to take her eyes off them and she turned her attention to the sky. She probably wouldn't stay at the party any longer, she never really liked parties anyway.

When she was younger her mother would always love to throw her birthday parties but Kat hated them. She hated all the attention being on her and being miserable on her day. The only thing she liked about parties was the presents but there were none here so there was nothing to keep her from staying.

"Hey." A voice said from behind her and she immediately knew who it was.

"Hi." She said back not turning back to see him.

"Where'd Lily go?" He asked.

"She went to talk with Emmeline." She replied.

"Oh." That was all he said.

"Did you come with a date?" She asked, trying to make sure she didn't sound too interested.

"No." He replied and Kat's curiosity grew more. Who was the girl he was talking to and more importantly why did she care?

"Oh." It was her turn to reply. She then turned to face the boy who was looking at her with curious eyes as she was acting a little different than usual.

She let out a breathy laugh when she saw his crooked tie. "Haven't you worn a tie before?" She teased before stepping toward him until she was a few inches away from him. She carefully straighten his tie and Remus gulped at their proximity which didn't seem to be a problem for Kat.

Kat's eyes were on his tie while Remus's eyes were on her. Like they had been for almost the whole night.

Truth be told Remus watched her and Lily when they entered and he was surprised, to say the least. Kat looked pretty, very pretty. Now that he could see her from a closer angle he could've sworn his breath stopped for a few seconds.

"There," Kat said before leaning away from him. She turned to him and saw the flustered look plastered on his face. "Why are you looking at me like that?" She chuckled.

"You look pretty." He said softly.

Kat's heart skipped a beat and she found it hard to keep eye contact. "Oh um- thanks...you look pretty too." She said and immediately regretted her words. It was strange she had never felt this way with him before, it was different, she wasn't sure if it was a good difference or a bad difference, but it was awfully awkward.