04. forbidden forest

Kat yawned as Professor Flitwick went on about the importance of basic charms spells. The seat beside her was empty again. It had been almost 3 days since she had last saw Remus, but his friends didn't seem to be worried, so she assumed he was fine.

Kat was completely lonely now. It was strange, the feeling was so familiar yet it pained her every time. Remus being her only- friend? No. More like a close acquaintance. Kat wasn't really sure what they were. They were definitely not close enough to be friends but after their surprise encounter on the astronomy tower, it was different. Kat felt a lot more comfortable with him.

Kat knew he was going through something too. The astronomy tower seemed to be the place where everyone that was troubled went. It seemed surreal to Kat. The marauders seemed to always be happy. Even when Sirius ran away from his home he seemed to be fine, she knew he wasn't. Family was like that. Even if they show no love to you, you still love them, you still love them after all the pain they cause you to go through. There was no way leaving your family didn't hurt.

The day went by awfully fast and Kat watched the sunset as she was alone in her room. She watched as the students rushed inside afraid to get caught being out so late. As much as Kat liked the night sky, nighttime was a scary time at Hogwarts. It was so mysterious and dark, the students gossiped about the terrible creatures that roamed outside and all the secrets that came out when the sun came down and the moon came up.

Four running boys caught her attention. The marauders were seen running into the forbidden forest as the light from the day started to go out. She saw Remus, he seemed to look sick. He looked exhausted but still ran alongside his friends into the mysterious place covered with trees and suddenly they weren't in sight.

Kat's eyes widened when she couldn't see them anymore. She knew the marauders could take care of themselves but they were so mischievous, one day it could end up hurting one of them and maybe it was tonight. She hesitated for a while before grabbing her light sweater and rushing out the door. 

The castle was empty and quiet, which put Kat more on edge. Her footsteps were quiet and her nervous breath was airy. She refused to get caught tonight.

Once she made it out of the castle, the cold air hit her body causing her to shiver. The small sweater she had brought with her wasn't going to help much. She took slow steps as the fall chilly air hit her face, the moon was full and the air was windy. It was the perfect weather for something wrong to happen.

She nervously stood in front of the forbidden forest. Nothing but trees were in sight. She looked around for any of the Gryffindor boys but not even a single noise was heard. The girl let out a breathy sigh, she slowly entered the forest until she didn't see a way out. She shivered, in both fear and coldness.

"Where did they go?" Kat complained. She was far into the forest to back out now. 

A branch cracked and Kat's head turned quickly to see the cause of the noise. Nothing. 

Silence filled the empty forest once again. At least Kat thought it was empty. 

She suddenly heard someone or something running. Towards her. 

Kat didn't bother to turn around and started sprinting. She wasn't sure where exactly she was going, but she wanted to be far, far away from there. 

Before she knew tears started to escape her eyes as she ran. She didn't want to die, she couldn't live and die alone. She felt loneliness chase her until it had no one left to chase.

The weak girl stopped running and held on to a tree, trying to catch her breath as fast as she could.

Before Kat could make a run for it again, a sudden presence made its way to Kat and Kat's breath hitched.

The creature was tall and scary, very scary. She knew what it was. A werewolf. She had learned about them in DADA class. The picture in her textbook looked exactly like the creature she saw in front of her.

It took slow steps toward her and Kat couldn't seem to move. She was too tired to run again, and she didn't have her wand to fight, which now she remembered she forgot to bring with her when she ran out of her room.

Her fellow Ravenclaws would be proud of her.

She closed her eyes. Hoping the close of her eyelids would make her death less painful. But instead of being eaten by the unusually tall werewolf, she heard a thud. Her eyelids fluttered open and she saw the werewolf fighting with something that seemed to look like a wolf...or maybe a really dirty-looking dog.

She took this chance, she didn't care that she was exhausted, or that her legs felt like they would collapse at any second. She ran for it. This time no tears fell. She just ran.

Her steps were so rushed that soon her foot would catch itself on a branch. The girl fell, hitting her head on the way down. She wanted to get up, she really did, but she couldn't. The dizziness and ringing in her head made her feel so much weaker than she feel before. Her eyelids felt heavy, but she used all her strength to keep them open. But she couldn't do it for long. 

There an unconscious girl lay in the forbidden forest. All alone. 

Again.