08. blair

Blair Avery never had an easy life. She was born into a wealthy but harsh family. Her mother wanted nothing for her other than to marry and her father only seemed to pay attention to her brother. 

Blair was sure Kat had a perfect life. Kat always seemed happy and easygoing. Blair was jealous. How could someone be so carefree at the beginning of a war? A war where there was only good or evil, life or death. Blair wanted to live. She wasn't an idiot. She would pick the right side.

"Did you write to your parents yet?" Ayla asked Blair.

"Yeah." She answered bluntly. "I'm doing it...I'm becoming one of them."

"What?" Ayla asked with a hint of fear.

"I don't have a choice, Ayla. I have to do this." 

The two girls walked alongside each other and Blair bumped into someone. "Oh sorry." Katherine apologized. Blair scoffed. Kat ignored her and started walking again.

"You know you're being an idiot right?" She asked.

Kat turned around. "What?"

"You think hanging out with Remus Lupin is smart?" Blair laughed annoyingly. "Oh please once the war breaks out he'll be one of the first to die. You're on the wrong side Kat."

Kat let out a small scoff. "And you're on the right one?"

"Yes actually. I am." Blair defended.

"You think killing innocent people is right?" Kat asked in disbelief.

"You have no right to say that." Blair scoffed. "You don't get it, Kat. You never will."

"Get what?" Kat asked.

"What it's like to not have a choice." Blair's voice cracked.

"Everyone has a choice, Blair," Kat said in a stern voice this time. "You're just making the wrong one." 

Kat turned back and walked away as angrily as she could. She never hoped to be more alone than she did now. Her friend was Blair Avery, a pureblood, a part of the sacred 28. Kat always believed that Blair was nothing like what she was expected to be, Kat always had hope that her friend would stay on the good side. Blair had a choice and she made the wrong one. She was on their side, the wrong side. 

"KAT!" She heard a voice call out, Kat's steps stopped and she turned around. She saw Ayla running towards her with a concerned face.

"What is it?" Kat asked in a quiet voice, not trying to sound rude. Ayla hadn't really done anything to her.

"Blair- I know that she shouldn't have said that but she's having a hard time right now. I'm not trying to defend her but I'm sure she didn't mean all of that." Ayla said.

Kat just nodded.

"I'm sorry Kat, I really am." She apologized before leaving the girl.

Kat knew Ayla wasn't a bad person, she just wasn't sure why she was defending Blair. Maybe it was something only they understood.

Kat spent the whole day in the library. It was Saturday so she found herself alone, no one was lonely enough to spend their Saturday at the library. She read a couple of muggle books, she found them to be a lot more interesting than wizard books. Romance books were her favorite, she didn't care how cliche they were, the thought of being in love made her squeal like a little girl. 

She looked up at the clock and was surprised by the fact that she had almost spent 5 hours in the library. She grabbed the books and put them back where she found them. She quietly walked out of the library ignoring the group of loud Hufflepuffs on her way out.

She was about to enter the common room when she saw Blair leaning on the wall.

"Hi Kat." She smirked and Kat ignored her, whatever she had to say probably wasn't worth listening to. "Did Ayla apologize to you?" Blair asked.

Kat didn't reply.

"I'll take your silence as a yes. After all, this is Ayla we're talking about. She can be too nice sometimes." Blair laughed a little.

Kat was starting to get annoyed. Did Blair actually have something to tell her or was she just there to argue some more? "What do you want Blair?" She sighed.

"I'm not sorry," Blair said. "Ayla might be sorry but I'm not. I meant everything I said." 

"Is that all?" Kat asked annoyed and Blair scowled at the girl's tone. Kat was about to leave when Blair's voice caught her again.

"Y'know your dad's one of them right." Blair blurted out. "That's why he left you and your mom. He knows what's best too." 

Kat pretended to ignore her. Her breath was frustrated and weak. She guessed that's what her mother meant by "dangerous man". Blair wasn't one to lie, especially about something she seemed so sure about. Kat believed everything she had just said. Her mother crying in the station, the letter, and now Blair. Blair just confirmed it all.

Her father was a death eater.