nine | ballad

After writing the word 'ballad' on the whiteboard, Mr

After writing the word 'ballad' on the whiteboard, Mr. Schuester turned to the Glee Clubbers as he said to them, "Ballad. From Middle English 'balade'. Who knows what this word means?"

While Rachel simply raised her hand, Brittany said, "It's a male duck."

While Christian slowly turned his head to look over at Brittany with furrowed eyebrows, Mr. Schuester said, "Kurt."

It was then that Kurt told him, "A ballad is a love song."

Mr. Schuester replied, "Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music, which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way." While Christian simply eyed him with narrowed eyes, Mr. Schuester said to them, "Okay, now Sectionals are in a few weeks. And there's a new rule this year. We have to perform... a ballad."

With a shake of her head, Rachel said, "Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off."

While Puck only nodded his head at her with his eyebrows furrowed, Mr. Schuester told them, "Okay, so here's our assignment for the week. I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

It was then that Finn said, "I pick Quinn."

With a shake of his head, Mr. Schuester replied, "No, no, no, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate."

After Christian had simply rolled his eyes to himself and the other Glee Clubber said 'ooh', Mr. Schuester said to them, "'Ooh', yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

It was then that Brittany turned to Santana and said to her in a whisper, "I bet that duck's in the hat."

While Morgan watched as Christian moved one seat away from Brittany with a scrunched up nose, Santana told Mr. Schuester, "But Matt's out sick today. He had to go to the hospital because they found a spider in his ear."

In turn, Mr. Schuester said to them, "Um, I guess I'll just have to put my name in the hat for now." After coming to a halt at the piano, Mr. Schuester asked them, "Who's up first?"

It was then that Puck got up from his chair and walked over towards the hat, shortly before he pulled a single paper out of the hat and said, "Mercedes."

Not long after that, Artie pulled out a paper of his own and said, "Quinn."

Then Finn eventually made his way up towards the hat and pulled out a paper before he said, "Kurt." While Kurt simply smiled to himself from where he sat in his chair, Finn said to Mr. Schuester, "Mr. Schue, I don't know if I can do this with another guy."

With a shake of his head, Mr. Schuester replied, "The Fates have spoken, Finn."

After Finn had made his way back over towards his chair, Tina walked up to the piano and pulled out a paper before she said, "Other Asian."