Money

I'm not dead! Hope you all enjoy!

I see the scrappers a split second before the others. 

  The hooded figures, hidden in the shadows of a smaller junked ship, it's dumb wing providing them shelter. There is no more than three, almost invisible in the inky darkness. One is holding binoculars, spying on us, and it's rim catches the light. I instinctively tuck Omega behind me, about to raise my rifle, but Echo holds out his hand to stop me, gesturing for us to continue walking. 

  Clicking my rifle to stun, I obey him, keeping my eyes on the ground. 

  "I know. We've got eyes on us." Echo says grimly, nodding towards the shadows. Wrecker nods behind us, his fingers tapping a rhythm into his helmet.

    "Yeah, I see them." Wrecker confirms, a bit of excitement in his voice. I understand his need-- to feel useful again-- especially after the accident on the cruiser.

  "How many?" Omega whispers, gripping my hand. I give her a comforting squeeze.

  "Just three, my love." She glances up at me, brown eyes speckled with slight worry. We have been through some tough things together, yet she still get's a bit shaken up. 

  "Just act casual, girls." Echo says. "Wrecker, you ready?"

"Waiting on you." Wrecker says, following after his brother as Echo breaks into a run, slipping on their helmets. I pull Omega behind me, raising my rifle to my uninjured shoulder, firing a stun shot towards the Scrappers. They scramble out of their hiding spot in panic, scurrying away from us like rats. I start to jog, Omega next to me, my helmet banging against my armored thigh.

  She is fast, easily keeping up with me as we head to where the boys disappeared. 

  "Oh, no you don't!" We hear Wrecker cry in the distance, and our pace only quickens. Sounds of blaster fire and Wrecker's shouting bounces off the metal, amplifying and echoing through the canyons of the shipyard. 

  We turn a corner, and I barely have time to pull Omega out of the way as a speeder flies past us, Wrecker dangling off the edge. The speeder is a circular model similar to the one we saw earlier, made of orange metal, a brilliant color against the dull and faded complexion of the surrounding ships. The hull of the speeder is loaded with boxes, crates, and corroded parts. Wrecker dangles off the edge, gripping to the iron railing. 

"I've got this under control!" He cries, his voice slowly fading as the shuttle moves farther and farther away from us. My breath catches in my throat. I glance towards Echo, and he has the comm raised to his lips. 

  "Hunter, Tech, we got spotted by scrappers."  He catches my gaze, seeming to read my mind, and nods. I turn towards Omega.

     "Stay with Echo." I say, twisting on my heels and breaking into a sprint, clambering up the metal of a nearby cruiser. It feels good to run again, and I unclip my helmet, sliding it onto my head. I flip my heat reader over my right eye, shouldering my rifle.

  I run along cruisers, my shadow dancing along besides me. I jump across dark gaps between ships, not even bothering to see how far the ground is. Wrecker's screams and yells aren't hard to follow, and I see flashes of orange as the speeder weaves through the paths below me, their heat signatures playing peek-a-boo. I am traveling  in a straight line, while the speeder can only go where it fits, giving me the advantage. 

 Ahead, an old transport shuttle sits propped on it's side, it's wing sticking at an angle into the air, and I increase my speed, charging up the metal and pulling myself up.