Time Travellers and Burgers

Valkyrie sat next to Skulduggery as China sat at her desk, as beautiful as ever.

"Now, let's talk time travel," China started, folding her arms on the desk.

"We have reports of missing mortals in the Haggard area," Skulduggery said. Valkyrie's head snapped up.

"Haggard?" She asked. Skulduggery nodded.
"My parents. Alice..."

"Are going to be fine. We've got them protected," Skulduggery told her. Valkyrie relaxed a little.

"The missing mortals, are there any connections between any of them?" China asked.

"None. It seems that this is completely random," Skulduggery answered. Valkyrie looked up at him.

"Shunters," she suggested.

"It's more likely to be time travellers," Skulduggery said, then turned his attention back to China.

"What possible motive could they have to be taking the mortals back in time?"

"That's exactly what I need you two to figure out," China answered. "The only lead we've got is that the only disappearances are happening in Haggard. No where else."

"Maybe Haggard will be a good place to start," Valkyrie said.

"I agree with you Valkyrie," Skulduggery said.

"I'm counting on you two. Unless something world changing occurs, you can stick with this," China told them.

"We'll do our best," Skulduggery answered, getting to his feet. Valkyrie followed as he walked out the door.

"Are we going to Haggard?" Valkyrie asked.

"No, we're going to Cassandra Pharos first."

"Why?"

"We have to find what motive this person may have to be shunting the mortals."

"I thought you said they weren't shunters."

"I said that it was more likely to be time travellers."

"Still, you said they weren't shunters."

"A Shunter is a possible suspect..."

"But you said they weren't..."

"Valkyrie-"

"You hate being wrong don't you?"

Skulduggery sighed irritably. Valkyrie smirked and they climbed into the Bentley.

***

They reached Cassandra Pharos' office and were greeted by the Sensitive. As she led them to her Steam Chamber, Valkyrie told her about the werewolf that had nearly killed her.

"I thought werewolves didn't exist here," Cassandra said, her grey hair flowing.

"That's the thing though, it shouldn't be here."

"We'll worry about the werewolf later," Skulduggery interrupted. Then he turned to Cassandra. "Have you heard about the disappearances in Haggard recently?" He asked. Cassandra looked at him.

"Yes, I've been having visions," she answered.

"Do you have an idea of why they're doing it?"

"No, not really. The pictures are hazy. It's not enough to know what they're up to, and we can't see where they're shunting them."

"I told you we should've started in Haggard," Valkyrie said in an 'I told you so' kinda tone. "There's obviously nothing that Cassandra knows that we don't."

"Wait..." Skulduggery began. "Do you know where they're hiding out?"

"As a matter of fact, yes I do," Cassandra answered.

Skulduggery tilted his head towards Valkyrie. She glared at him. Cassandra set herself up as Skulduggery set fire to the coals and turned on the water. The steam billowed and the water was cut off. After a few minutes the vision flickered around them, and came to life. It was of a very familiar house, and Valkyrie could almost feel the negative energy coming from it.

"Gordon's house," she whispered.

Skulduggery tensed, and Valkyrie looked at him. His body was rigid and she decided to leave it. He obviously knew that his partner wouldn't be happy after seeing that. Noises and shouts came from within, and Valkyrie shifted her weight around. She heard a high pitched cry, and let out a tiny gasp, just as the face and head of a sorcerer appeared at the window. Cassandra gasped and the vision disappeared.

"I'm sorry," she said. "That's all I have."

"It's fine," Skulduggery replied. "We'll go to Gordon's place, have a look around."

"Do you know who that was?" Valkyrie asked him.

"No, I've never seen him before. But when you were getting beaten up by a werewolf..."

Valkyrie glared.

"The vampire told me a name."

Valkyrie's eyebrows shot up.
"What name?" She asked.

"It's a weird one. Herman Grave," he answered.

"That is ridiculous."

"That's what I thought."

Cassandra cleared her throat. They both turned to her. "Gordon's house is a good place to start. I'll call you if I find out anything else."

"Thank you," Skulduggery said. He turned to go.

"Thank you for your time," Valkyrie said, following him out the door and towards the Bentley.

"I'm hungry," she whined.

"You're always hungry."

"Am not!"

"You should really lay off the burgers for a while."

Valkyrie crossed her arms and glared at him.
"I can't believe you just said that! Do you think I'm pudgy?"

Skulduggery shrugged.

"You do!" Valkyrie yelled.

"I don't, I just think that burgers are fattening."

"So now you're calling me fat."

"Are you forgetting about the tree?"

"That was years ago! And in case you didn't notice, it was a very thin branch."

"I got over it easily."

"Because you hardly weigh anything!"

"You're lucky it didn't snap."

Valkyrie glared at him, anger flaring in her dark eyes.

"Seriously? How heavy do you think I am?"

"I've had to carry you plenty of times."

"And that makes me fat?"

"Whatever you think."

"Oh my god!"

"What?"

"You're so mean to me."

"There's a reason why you don't argue with me."

"I hate you so much."

"I'll get you a salad, how about that?"

Valkyrie sat back in the seat and grumbled.