The Ugly Truth

Synecdoche heard footsteps outside the door and stood up as Tanith entered the Medical Wing.
"Ah, Tanith, just the woman I was looking for."
Tanith stopped, and looked suspiciously at the doctor.
"Why?" She asked, her eyebrows raised.
"I need to have a conversation with you about Valkyrie's future."
"What about it?"
"I don't think that Valkyrie is strong enough to pull through."
Tanith's head snapped up towards Synecdoche.
"What do you mean she's not strong enough?"
"Her condition is deteriorating, and it's deteriorating fast. She can't even breathe properly without assistance."
Tanith looked like she was about to cry, and she walked slowly towards Valkyrie. She kneeled beside the bed and took her fragile hand in her own.
"Valkyrie, I know you're strong enough. You have to pull through girl! Skulduggery needs you! You need him! You both need each other. Please don't give up yet Val," she begged. Synecdoche walked over and put her hand on Tanith's shoulder comfortingly.
"I think you should consider turning off her life support."
Synecdoche saw Tanith shake her head, and she saw a tear roll down the swords woman's cheek.
"I know it's hard Tanith, but you've got to be realistic. Valkyrie doesn't have to strength to hold on much longer, and you're only prolonging her pain. It's best to turn her off and let her slip away peacefully."
"No," Tanith sobbed. Synecdoche fought back tears herself.
"I'll give you a moment," she said, and turned and walked out of the room, the door clicking shut behind her. That's when Tanith turned all her attention to Valkyrie.
"Come on Val. Don't give up. Fight. Where's that fighting spirit?" She asked, stroking Valkyrie's cheek gently.
"We'll find Skulduggery...."
Valkyrie's fingers moved again and Tanith smiled. Then her look turned serious.
"I'll do whatever it takes to protect you until we do."
And by the tone of her voice, she could tell that she was serious.

The 1600's:

Ambry sat shivering on her bed, hugging her knees to her chest and rocking back and forth. Her brother was dead. She didn't want to believe it. She couldn't believe it. Skulduggery was dead. Ghastly had carried all the way through the woods, and Asaria had had to be sedated to stop her from screaming. Louisa was getting counselling, and Ambry was just sitting in her room, grieving. Ghastly had been bringing her food, and Dexter was staying by Asaria's side. China was smiling, despite the situation, and it annoyed Ambry. Her brother had been killed for God's sake! How could China be happy at a time like this? Headmistress Adeline was sad too, and was trying to stop the rumours from spreading, although, she couldn't stop them forever. Sooner or later they would get out. Ambry hoped that it was later. She was still scarred after seeing her brother lying on the floor, and she was wondering how the hell that it had happened. There was only one suspect, Valkyrie Cain. Ambry had known that there was something different about her as soon as she arrived at Reinstone. She had seen how that girl had reeled Skulduggery in, keeping her dirty little secret from everyone. She had killed him, there was no denying it. Why would she leave the scene of the crime unless she had something to hide? Ambry felt the emptiness overcome her again as she remembered having to tell her parents that their son was dead. The look on Henry's face, it was indescribable, and Ada broke down, screaming her lungs out. Ambry tried to shake the memories from her mind, but found it extremely hard when she kept seeing her handsome brother lying dead on the ground...