Confiding in a Surprise Friend

You are all probably hating me right now and I know that some of you are especially annoyed with me. (such-an-english-girl I'm talking about you! Lol!)
Anyway you are all probably planning on murdering me for killing the Valduggery, and you probably will kill me when this fanfic is finished. (Please don't hurt me!) Sorry if I crushed your dreams! (No I'm not really sorry, I love making people angry at me, I find their reactions amusing!)

Valkyrie trudged through the hallway, heading towards Physical Combat. She really didn't want to face Skulduggery, not after what happened between them. And Asaria. What the hell? Valkyrie thought that Sari had been her friend, Asaria had been her best friend in this Century, and she had just lost her. All because of that stupid Herman Grave who had to come along and ruin everything!

Valkyrie wanted to grieve for her partner, but she had work to do. Clear the way with Skulduggery and get her friends back, then find a way to get home. It all seemed so easy, but deep inside, Valkyrie knew that she was in for a challenging task.

**^

Valkyrie stood as far away from Skulduggery as possible, noting how dreadful he looked. He must have cried himself to sleep, she thought, then mentally slapped herself. Skulduggery Pleasant crying? No way!

Mr Finlay put them into pairs, and Valkyrie wasn't surprised when she got paired with Skulduggery. She had never been the luckiest person in the world. China stood with Ambry, and the red head girl was staring at Valkyrie was an intrigued look on her face that made Valkyrie feel uncomfortable. She shifted her weight as Skulduggery stood beside her, not saying a word. She didn't blame him for hating her. She didn't bother trying to start up a conversation, she would leave that for later. Right now her mind was on one thing, and that was trying to find a way to get out of Physical Combat. She desperately didn't want to fight Skulduggery, not after what had happened. He'd be angry, hurt, and he'd do his best to hurt her back.

Then she remembered something. She could just fake to feel sick and then scurry away to the nurse's office. But then they'd all think she was a coward, Asaria and Skulduggery especially. She could see Ambry still staring at her, and decided that it was time. She walked away from Skulduggery, catching glances as she did so. She made her way up to the teacher.

"Mr Finlay," she whispered.

"Yes Valkyrie. What can I do for you?"

"I don't feel quite right."

"Do you want to go to Mrs Mahy's office?"

"I think that'd be the best thing to do," Valkyrie replied, walking towards the door.

She couldn't believe how good that had gone. She walked the familiar hallways down to where the nurses office was. She knocked on Mrs Mahy's large wooden door, and waited. She could feel his eerie presence as he stalked her. She didn't like that feeling.

Herman Grave was such a fuckhead, and now he was going to pay. Valkyrie was going to break that pointy little nose of his, gauge out his eyeballs, and beat him to death because of what he'd done to Skulduggery. Her murderous thoughts were interrupted when the door creaked open. Mrs Mahy stood there looking her up and down.

"Ah Miss Cain. Please, come in," the nurse said, holding open the door.

Valkyrie walked in nervously, and the door banged shut behind her, making her jump. She cursed under her breath.

"Take a seat, and what happens to be the problem?" Mrs Mahy asked as Valkyrie sat on one of the uncomfortable wooden chairs. Oh how she missed the leather recliners.

"I'm just not feeling too good," Valkyrie lied.

"Do you feel like you're going to be sick?"

"Maybe. I don't know, it's hard to tell what I feel like."

Mrs Mahy nodded, and Valkyrie could see something in her eyes, something, different. It was hard to put a finger on. It was, understanding.

"Valkyrie, you're not really sick, are you?"
She asked. Valkyrie froze. The nurse smiled.
"Why did you really come here?"

Valkyrie gulped. "To get out of Physical Combat."

"Why?"

"Because I was going up against Skulduggery, and we recently had massive fight and I'm afraid that he's going to kill me if I fight him."

The nurse nodded.
"I see," she said. "What was this fight about?"

"I'd been keeping a secret from him, and it kind of involves his death."

"Well, I can see why you had an argument."

"Now, I've hurt him, and I don't know what to do. It's obvious that he doesn't want to talk to me, but I've lost my best friend as well. Asaria noticed that something was off about him, and she confronted me and said that we were no longer friends. I'm just so lost and angry I don't know what to do or how to make things right."

"You do seem to want to patch things up Valkyrie. Give Skulduggery some time, a few days perhaps, to get over the shock. Then try and rebuild the friendship."

Valkyrie nodded, understanding.
"Yes. Yes that's good. Thank you so much Mrs Mahy, I appreciate it. You're not going to make me go back to class now are you?"

"No darling I'm not. Go to your room and I'll tell them that I sent you to rest."

"Thank you Miss." Valkyrie dropped a quick curtsy, and hurried out the door.

***

She walked through the halls, looking at pictures of old students, and finally came to her room. The door was open.

Frowning, Valkyrie cautiously stepped inside, only to find Ambry looking at her. She froze in shock.

"I didn't mean to startle you," Ambry started. "But I felt like I needed to talk to you."

"What? You? But you and China, you hate me," Valkyrie replied.

"China does, I don't," Ambry said, smiling.

"But you've never spoken to me before, you never even look at me for God's sake!"

"That's because I was waiting."

"Waiting for what?"

"For the right time. As soon as you came to Reinstone, I knew there was something different about you. I could feel it, but China couldn't, none of them could."

"You're a Sensitive."

Ambry smiled.
"Yes. I am."

"Do you know the truth?"

"Not quite. And I'm not going to make you tell me it. If it's your secret, keep it."

"Why are you here Ambry? Is this some kind of trap?"

"No. No trap. I wanted to give you advice."

"What sort of advice?"

"Advice about Skulduggery. He gets apprehensive about a lot of things, especially secrets. He hate them, so give him time. Once he finds that he can't avoid you much longer, he'll confront you, and that's when he'll come clean about how he was wrong, blah blah blah. So what I'm saying is, just wait."

"How do you know all this about Skulduggery?" Valkyrie asked.

Ambry smiled that warm smile, and started towards the door. She stopped when her hand was resting on the doorknob.

"I should. I am his sister."

Then she walked out, shutting the door behind her.