Seducing and Swimming

Valkyrie quickly ran from the room. Swimming with Skulduggery. This was going to be interesting.

She ran down the hall to Asaria and Louisa's room, and remembered what Darquesse had said earlier. Asaria and Dexter were getting close... Valkyrie quickly turned and ran in the opposite direction, back to her own room. When suddenly, a large pile of bricks came crashing down to land in front of her. She skidded to a stop, shocked. Clay bricks piled up in a dusty mess. Valkyrie looked up. Only one person would've had the motive to do that. China. If she'd been a second later...

Valkyrie looked back as people began running from their rooms to help. Valkyrie stepped back and entered her room once again. Skulduggery was gone. But a note was sitting on Valkyrie's bed. Puzzled, she walked to the bed. This was probably a trap, or Skulduggery had left it for her. Valkyrie looked around quickly, before picking up the note. Suddenly all around her were shadows of darkness, and in the corner, stood Grave. Valkyrie's eyes widened. Grave didn't come towards her, all he did, was slowly tap the spot on his wrist where a watch should've been. Valkyrie heard him whispering, tick tock, tick tock. She shivered as he disappeared. He was stalking her, there was no denying it now. He was constantly watching her, and he would follow her to the dam with Skulduggery. She tried not to throw up, as she read the note. A picture of a clock was drawn on it, and the words, tick, tock were scribbled on it. Valkyrie tried to slow her breathing as she changed into her undergarments, and hurried out the door.

Valkyrie met Skulduggery, Ghastly and Anton outside the doors of the academy. They laughed together, and Ghastly announced that he was missing his Elemental training class. Skulduggery proceeded to get cocky, and Ghastly playfully punched him in the arm. They all laughed, and Valkyrie smiled, this was the most fun she'd had since she'd come to Reinstone, and now she was going swimming with three of her favourite and closest friends. Darquesse was silent, and she was sure that not even Herman Grave was going to ruin her mood.

***

"Hey!" Valkyrie shouted as Skulduggery splashed water in her face. He laughed as she flicked it back into his emerald eyes. She beamed. It was so fun mucking around with him. She lunged for him, and they both tackled each other, Valkyrie forcing Skulduggery under the water. She could hear Ghastly and Anton laughing on the grass, and that only made Valkyrie more determined. Skulduggery came up, his chocolate hair soaked. He grinned maliciously, and before she knew what was happening, she was being pinned underwater. She struggled, and felt the grip loosen. She came up, gasping for breath, and Ghastly and Anton cheered. Valkyrie glared at him.

"No fair! I wasn't ready!"

"I really didn't care," Skulduggery retorted, pulling her close to his side.

Valkyrie felt her heart about to burst from her chest at the touch. She looked up into his green eyes, and he looked into her brown ones. Ghastly wolf whistled, and Valkyrie pulled away, embarrassed. Skulduggery didn't seem fazed. Anton was grinning from ear to ear as Valkyrie walked up onto the bank.

He likes me, she thought.

That hand that had held her close, holding her around the waist, it hung loosely as Skulduggery joined them on the grass. Valkyrie tried not to let her feelings show, but she knew eventually that her emotions would spill over. She closed her eyes, and lay back to sun bake.

You know you love him, just admit it.

That voice, it was back.

No I don't.

Yes you do.

I love the skeleton Skulduggery.

Ha! So you admit that you love him!

Yeah but not the boy version...

They're the same person aren't they?

Yeah, maybe.

So what's the difference?

There is a big difference!

No there's not. You love Skulduggery. You're being seduced Val, just accept it.

I'm not being seduced!

It seems like it from what happened just then in the dam.

That was just...

Love.

Shut up.

Ah... So you admit it.

I never said that.

But you were thinking it.

How would I have room to think about anything when you're taking up all the space in my mind?

Touchy...

Go away.

Fine, but you'll see it soon. You love him.

Valkyrie sighed. That voice was so annoying. She was sure that she couldn't love this Skulduggery, when she had become overly attached to her skeletal partner. If only she was home...