Dresses

This is just a filler chapter but I promise to update soon!
(Even though I suck at keeping promises).
I couldn't come up with a name that I thought suited Ghastly's dad so I didn't bother with it.

Enjoy my little ducklings XD

Skulduggery pulled open the door quietly.

"Valkyrie?" He whispered.

He heard her heartbroken sobs, and cursed himself and his father for making her cry. He stepped into the room to see his crush face down on the rug, crying her eyes out.

"Valkyrie, I'm sorry."

She stopped sobbing and looked up at him with her tear stained cheeks and puffy red eyes.

"Why would you say we were 'just friends' after what happened between us?" She almost yelled.

"I'm sorry. I just said that so that father would back off. I don't want him interfering with our relationship."

"Do we even have a relationship?" She asked. Skulduggery paused.

"Yes," he answered. Valkyrie's face softened, and she stood up, running towards him. She jumped into his arms and he spun her around, while she laughed into his shoulder.

"Should we go and see the others?" Valkyrie asked.

"Yes. Let's go right now," he answered.

***

Valkyrie knocked politely on the school's door. The sign above read,
'Moreton College for Young Mages.'

Valkyrie smiled at Skulduggery as the door creaked open. An older man with long grey hair pulled back into a ponytail greeted them, and directed them to where the students from Reinstone were staying. They eventually found their friends, and Asaria wrapped Valkyrie in a hug.

"I'm so glad you came! We have brilliant news!" She exclaimed.

"What news?" Valkyrie asked calmly as Asaria dragged her away from Skulduggery.

"The dance is going ahead on Saturday! There are almost finished rebuilding!"

"Really? That was quick work."

"It's really easy when you have air manipulation and Elemental magic on your side," Asaria grinned.

"Oh," Valkyrie replied.

"We are all going to get dresses!" Asaria continued. "At Ghastly's dad's shop!"

Ghastly's dad? Valkyrie never heard about Ghastly's father.

"Yeah okay," she answered.

***

They walked away from the school and towards the small town. Asaria and Louisa knew exactly where to find it, and they got there in no time. The shop was small, but cozy, with a large wooden door and timber slats. Yellow flowery curtains hung from the windows, and see through glass gave them the sight of some gorgeous dresses.

Louisa knocked loudly three times and they waited. The door creaked open to see a large, muscly man with a bald head. He smiled when he saw them.

"Asaria Wreck, Louisa Metor and Tanith Low. Welcome girls. And who is this fine young lady you have brought along?" Ghastly's dad asked.

"I'm Valkyrie Cain," Valkyrie answered.

"Welcome Valkyrie Cain. So I'm guessing that you girls all want dresses for the dance am I right?"

"You are a mind reader!" Asaria squealed.

"Well you are in luck, we've still got some pretty ones in stock. Feel free to have a look around girls."

"Thanks!" Louisa replied as Ghastly's dad went back to work. "Let's go," she said.

Asaria dragged Valkyrie through the rows of hangers, searching for the perfect gowns.

"How about we spilt up?" Valkyrie suggested, sick of being pulled around.

"Good idea," Asaria replied, turning to Louisa and Tanith.

"Split up. You might find something," she said, gesturing with her hands.

Valkyrie hurried off in search of something, anything that would make her look hot. She scanned the shelves, her eyes catching onto several beautiful gowns, but they didn't suit her figure. She was nearing the end of the rack now, and was beginning to panic. What if she didn't find anything good? What then?
It was at that moment when Valkyrie saw the most beautiful dress she'd ever seen in her whole life. She pulled it off the rack, and admired it. It was creamy in colour, sleeveless, diamonds and gems covered the front and back, while the skirt flowed long with silk thread. It was gorgeous, and suited her immensely. She hurried into the changing rooms to try it on.

Tanith had already begun her search. The racks were stacked with all sorts of gowns, but there was one in particular that caught her eye. It was pink, with gems and diamonds covering the front and back, and the pink faded to white at the end of the dress. It would go nicely with her blonde hair. This was the one.

Asaria was finding all sorts of designs laying on the racks. She shifted through all of them, nothing really catching her eye. Until she stumbled across something magnificent. It was a beautiful shade of blue, with a large flowery decoration on the hips. Gems covered the front, and Asaria beamed. This was the one she had been waiting for.

Louisa didn't have much trouble finding her gown. It caught her eyes immediately, because of it being so red it looked like blood. The gems made it that much more prettier, and Louisa smiled. Anton was going to love this.

Valkyrie admired herself in the mirror. The dress was perfect, and fitted her figure nicely. Skulduggery was going to love this. She just hoped that she could afford it. At least she had some money on her. But would it be enough?

She walked out to the counter, and was greeted by Louisa, Asaria and Tanith, who all had grins as big as the Cheshire Cat.

"Val! That dress is stunning!" Asaria squealed when she saw the gown that Valkyrie was carrying.

"Skulduggery is going to fall head over heels for you!" Louisa exclaimed. Tanith looked surprised.

"You're going with Skulduggery?" She asked.

"Yeah, I am," Valkyrie answered.

"Wow how did you manage that?"

"He asked me."

"He must really like you then. He hardly ever goes to the dance."

Valkyrie was surprised. Skulduggery hardly ever went to the dance? How was that possible?

"Skulduggery is apprehensive about a few things isn't he?" Ghastly's dad said. They all turned to him.

"Yeah, he is," Valkyrie replied.

"A charming young lad though, I don't think Henry and Ada could've had a better son than him."

Valkyrie felt special that Skulduggery liked her. Her. Nobody else. Just her. She was beginning to like the 1600's.

She snapped out of it when she saw her friends dresses.

"Wow! Guys, those are beautiful!" She exclaimed. Louisa was holding a blood red gown, Asaria had a blue one, and Tanith had a gorgeous pink one that faded into white at the bottom.

"Thanks," they all said, and laughed.

"Valkyrie, that dress is one of my finest works," Ghastly's dad began. "And it suits you perfectly."

"I don't think I can afford it," Valkyrie admitted.

"Don't worry about that. Take it, it's yours."
Valkyrie's eyes widened.

"Really? But it's your best!"

"You deserve it, Skulduggery is lucky to have you as his date."

Valkyrie nodded.
"Thank you."