The Plan is in Motion

Valkyrie woke up to find herself in Skulduggery's bed. She tried to remember what happened last night, and it became clear. The dance, the bathroom. She fell asleep! No! She looked at herself. She was in her underclothes that she usually wore to bed.

How? She thought.

Skulduggery was at the door, smiling a toothy grin at her. She smiled, and sighed.

"Did you do this?" She asked. He chuckled as he came to sit on the bed beside her.

"Maybe."

She sighed. He smiled.
"Hope you don't mind," he said.

"Not at all. In fact, I'm glad you did it."

Skulduggery frowned. Valkyrie laughed, and playfully punched his shoulder.

"I'm kidding!"

She saw him relax.

"What's the time?" She asked, running her fingers through her dark hair, pushing it back off her face.

"Round about ten. You should probably get out of bed and get dressed for breakfast," he answered.

"Do you want to watch me dress?"

Skulduggery's head snapped towards her, a shocked expression lining his features.

"I'm joking!" She laughed again. He sighed.

"Valkyrie, it's not funny."

"Fine Mr Party Pooper. Leave then so I can change."

He smiled, and stood up, ruffling her hair so it fell back over her face again. She scowled, he laughed and left the room, shutting the door behind him. Valkyrie sighed, hopping out of bed and ruffling though the closet.

Valkyrie ran down the hall, and looked before she walked into the kitchen. Ada was cooking something that smelled really good, and Valkyrie could see Skulduggery sitting at the end of the table, grinning at her. She smiled back, and made her way to her seat.

"Morning," she said to Ada.

"Good morning Valkyrie. Did you have fun last night?" Ada asked cheerfully.

"Oh yeah, great fun," Valkyrie answered, and Skulduggery winked at her. She shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"Crumpets with honey," Ada said, placing a tray of delicious looking muffins in front of Valkyrie and Skulduggery.

"Eat up, you are going back to Reinstone this afternoon."

Valkyrie almost choked.
"We are?" She asked.

"Yes, Mr Finlay called around earlier this morning and informed me and Henry. You can go around lunch time if you want," Ada replied.

"Had enough of us already have you mother?" Skulduggery teased. Ada rolled her eyes.

"More than enough," she joked. Valkyrie giggled, and started eating.

***

Valkyrie sat in the carriage, clutching her black clothes. They were almost at Reinstone, and Skulduggery's arm had found its way to her shoulders. She looked out the door and smiled. Back to Reinstone, back to her friends. Then she frowned. Grave had crept back into her thoughts. How could someone be so evil? Valkyrie hardly knew anyone who'd go to greater lengths than this plan. She tried not to cry as the carriage pulled up outside the school. Then she realised something. She turned towards Skulduggery.

"Hey did you get Sable back?"

"Yes he came back the night we were taken. He must've found his own way home," he replied.

Valkyrie nodded, and together they walked through the doors of Reinstone Academy, and towards their old room. Lots of students already lined the halls, chatting excitedly with each other. As Skulduggery and Valkyrie walked past, they all stared and the girls scowled. Valkyrie tried to ignore them. Skulduggery opened the door to their room, and Valkyrie walked in, eager to escape from the glaring girls. Their room had been renovated since the fire had destroyed it. She heard the door click shut behind them, and she looked at the two new beds that stood there, the curtains were yellow, and the walls a cream colour. A large wooden dresser sat on either side of each bed, and a large window gave them a view of the lush green fields and periwinkle blue sky. Valkyrie sighed. It was beautiful.

"It definitely looks good," she said.

"It does doesn't it? Came up good,"
Skulduggery replied, taking the clothes from her arms and laying them on the end of one of the beds.

"Thanks," she smiled.

"No problem."

"Are you going to tell me your given name now?"

"I told you that I was never going to tell you. I never tell anyone."

"I will seriously tell you mine if you tell me yours."

"You're not going to stop asking me are you?"

"Never."

"What happens if you never find out?"

"There's a good chance that she won't," a deep voice boomed from the corner of the room. Valkyrie cried out, scrambling back towards Skulduggery as a figure walked out of the shadows. Herman Grave smiled a toothy grin. Valkyrie stood protectively in front of Skulduggery as Grave stopped.

"Oh no, I don't mean it like that," he continued. "Just that maybe she'll leave before she finds out."

"Go away Grave," Valkyrie ordered. Grave laughed.

"You know this man?" Skulduggery asked. She turned to him.

"A little bit."

"Oh Valkyrie. You can't hide it from him any longer. Why don't you tell him the truth?"

"You don't want to do this."

"You mean you don't want to do this. Come on Valkyrie, why not let it all out?"

"I will kill you."

"Then how will you ever get home?" Grave teased. Valkyrie cringed. "Tell him, or you never get home," Grave threatened. Valkyrie took a deep breath. "Ah, Skulduggery. What a strange look you have on that handsome face right at this moment. Too bad you won't have a face for much longer," Grave said, smiling.

"What?" Skulduggery asked, obviously confused. "Valkyrie who is this person?"

"You don't wanna know," she answered. "But you won't want to know what I'm about to tell you either."

"Wow Valkyrie. I didn't think you'd give in this easily," Grave teased.

"What if I don't tell him? What if I don't want to lose him and I stay here? What then?" She asked.

"Well then I'll kill him, so you'll lose him either way. Anyway, it's your call. If I were you, I'd tell him and get sent home so I could grieve."

Valkyrie sighed. She had no choice. She had to tell him.

"I will find you," she snapped, rage showing on her face.

"Sure you will. I'll be waiting for you, ready."

Valkyrie fought back tears as she turned to Skulduggery who was still staring at Grave. He looked down at her.

"What is this?" He asked. "What's going on?"

"I'm... I'm going to tell you everything. Skulduggery I... I'm from the future."