Help is on the Way

Valkyrie rushed around the school, frantically calling out for help. She tripped and stumbled on the way up the concrete stairs. When she reached the top she bumped into a sorcerer. The muscly man looked surprised.

"Please help me!" Valkyrie cried.

"What's wrong honey?" He asked calmly.

"My friend and his father were abducted, and they need help! I can't find anyone else!"

"Do you know where they are?" The man said.

"Yes. In this building! In my old room! Please help me!"

"Take me to your old room, and I will help your friends."

"Thank you so much!" Valkyrie exclaimed, running back down the stairs, the man hot on her heels.

***

"In here," she said, pointing. The man stepped through and stopped. Valkyrie followed him in and sprinted back to Skulduggery. He was unconscious again, leaning against the wall. Henry was awake, looking up in surprise.

"Valkyrie," he murmured.

"It's okay, I've brought help," Valkyrie answered, kneeling beside Skulduggery once more.

"He shadow walked into the house and subdued us before we had a chance to attack. He hit Skulduggery pretty hard with his shadows," Henry said. Valkyrie froze.

"How hard?" She asked.

"Hard enough that it sent him flying back into a bookshelf."

Valkyrie fought back tears. Skulduggery really didn't look that good.

"How did you get here? How did you find us?" Henry asked, starting to weaken.

"I found Ada in the bathroom."

"Ada! Is she okay?"

"She's fine. She told me where you were. I rode Sable."

"You rode Sable? Where is he now?"

Valkyrie winced.
"He kinda, ran off," she whispered. She thought that Henry would be mad, but to her surprise, he spoke softly.

"We'll find him. The important thing is that you found us."

"I need to get more help. Two people aren't going to be enough," she said, standing up.

"You're right," the man said, and Valkyrie turned to him. "Go and get help young lady, I'll stay here with them."

"You're sure?"

"Yes. Go."

Valkyrie nodded her thanks, and hurried out the door once more, sprinting through the corridors.

She ran through the town, not stopping until she came to Ghastly's dad's shop. She burst through the door and locked eyes with a very surprised looking tailor.

"Valkyrie! What ever is the matter?" He asked, standing up.

"Skulduggery! Henry!" She gasped, trying to catch her breath.

"Okay, breathe Valkyrie. What happened?"

"I found Ada gagged in the bathroom when I went to Skulduggery's house after leaving here. Skulduggery and Henry were abducted, and Skulduggery is really badly hurt," she explained. Ghastly's dad tensed.

"How injured is he?"

"Pretty badly. Grave sent him hurtling into a bookshelf."

"Who's Grave?"

"The attacker."

"Where are they?"

"Reinstone. I'll take you to them," she said.

***

Valkyrie sprinted up the stairs again, with Ghastly's dad trailing behind her. They had also managed to get Mrs Mahy, the nurse, to come and help with Skulduggery, even though she was very reluctant.

Valkyrie jumped through the hole where the door was supposed to be, and was followed by the adults. The man that she had found earlier was kneeling beside Skulduggery, and Henry had been untied and was leaning against the wall, all his strength gone.

"He looks pretty bad," the man said.

"He'll make it, he's tough," Ghastly's dad reassured them.

It was true. Skulduggery was tough, he had to pull through. Valkyrie followed Mrs Mahy as she knelt beside Skulduggery. Valkyrie started humming, 'The Girl From Ipanema' again, and Skulduggery started to stir.

"Broken collarbone," Mrs Mahy said. "Possible broken ribs, dislocated shoulder. He's definitely been in the wars."

"He's going to be okay though right?" Valkyrie asked.

"Yes I should think so. As you have pointed out, he's tough. He'll pull through Valkyrie, don't you worry."

***

Valkyrie sat with her chin resting on her hands. She had been waiting for ages outside the Medical Wing, and Tanith had joined her twenty minutes ago, and her arm was around Valkyrie's shoulders, comforting her. Asaria, Dexter, Louisa, Anton, Ghastly, Saracen, Erskine, China and Ambry had had to stay at Moreton, so Valkyrie had Tanith to keep her company.

Valkyrie jumped up as the doors to the Medical Wing opened, and Tanith hissed as her arm jerked upwards. Valkyrie gave her an apologetic look, and rushed to Mrs Mahy.

"Is he alright?" She asked quickly.

"He's fine Miss Cain. Conscious and talking. His parents are getting something to eat. He has a few broken bones that should heal within the next hour. He's asking for you though."

Valkyrie turned away from the nurse and silently walked into the room. Skulduggery sat there, looking at her sheepishly. She forced a laugh, and he cocked his head in that way of his.

"What's funny?" He asked, amusement evident in his voice.

"I'm just relived, I guess, that you're okay," she answered, sitting down beside him.

"Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Herman Grave threw you into a bookshelf with his shadows!"

"That's nothing. Only a broken collarbone and some broken ribs, no biggie."

Valkyrie sighed, leaned in and kissed his forehead.

"I'm just so glad you're okay."

She tried to enjoy the moment, but the clouded thoughts of darkness that hung in her mind prevented that from happening. Herman Grave's plan was ruthless murder of an already dead man. And Valkyrie had no choice, but to obey his orders, and either way, she would lose Skulduggery.