High Tensions

The tension in the room was thick and heavy as everyone waited for the King to arrive for supper. The servants bustled about, bringing food and wine, but no one at the table conversed, the awkwardness growing with every second that passed. Laena was seated next to Aegon, who was already on his third glass of wine when Viserys was finally carried into the room and set between his wife and daughter. Laena could feel all of the occupants of the room breathe out in unison, a sigh of relief.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." the King said softly.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asked.

"Yes." Viserys replied. Alicent and Aemond closed their eyes reverently and the rest of the table hesitantly followed suit. Prayer before supper was not a common occurrence on Dragonstone.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." Daemon snorted and Laena fought the urge to smile along with him, shaking her head.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys announced when Alicent was finished, "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed."

"Hear, hear!" Daemon agreed, and raised his cup, smiling at his children.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman," Aegon whispered, leaning over. Beside him, Laena glared and kicked his shin beneath the table. He winced but continued to grin at his nephew.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys... the future Lord of the Tides," the King added.

"Hear, hear. You'll be great." Her cousin said, smiling kindly at her betrothed. Laena couldn't miss the sharpness in Aemond's gaze at her brother; he clearly didn't think Luke would be great.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that." Aegon continued with a grin.

"Let it be, cousin," Baela said from Jace's other side; sending him a glare.

"Uncle," Laena hissed, gripping his thigh under the table, desperately trying to get him to shut up. She hadn't expected him to reach down and grip her hand back.

"You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed." Jace replied.

"Mm-hm." Aegon finally murmured, reaching for his wine again. His other hand, the one beneath the table, slid Laena's hand across his leg. "If you wanted to touch it, little niece, you only had to ask..." he murmured, leaning toward her and pressing her palm against his growing erection. Her ears burned and her face flushed as she attempted to pull her hand away, but he held fast.

Then the i tried to stand and they all watched in somber silence, the silverware clattering as he gripped the table for support.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other... in the years passed." The mask made a loud thud as he released it and Laena winced. Her grandfather looked as though he were already decaying. How was he still drawing breath? "My own face... is no longer a handsome one... if indeed it ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me... as I am. Not just a King... but your father, your brother, your husband... and your grandsire, who may not, it seems... walk for much longer among you." He breathed heavily. "Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances. If not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves you all so dearly."