Your Sex is on Fire

"It should have been me... I could have flown out on Vhagar; I could have found her..." Aemond muttered to himself as he paced back and forth in front of the fire, fuming. In truth, Vhagar wouldn't have found her, but it made him feel better to believe she could... It was half his fault that Laena had fled the keep, and Aegon was going to get to be the hero.

"No, you couldn't. It needs to be Aegon." Helaena told him, "I dreamt about it. They have to finish it. Black and green must be woven together, a dragon has three heads." Aemond stared at her, trying to discern her meaning.

"Without tonight, the next generation will be lost. You will understand, eventually..." He didn't understand, and Helaena's words didn't reassure him. He sat down in the chair and crossed his legs, fidgeting anxiously...

**

"I'm sorry, Rhaenyra," the Queen poured out, gripping her hand. "Aemond is... He can be callous, I suppose. I haven't had a chance to speak with him yet. Still, I'm sure the King had his own reasons for putting the betrothal to us. So, what happens next?"

"Next, we'll be returning to Dragonstone." Rhaenyra decided, patting the Queen on the hand. "When Laena returns, send a raven. I will, as well. I'll come on dragonback, but I think it's best for us to separate our sons, at least for the time being." Alicent nodded.

"Yes," the Queen relented, "I suppose that is for the best, for now. You should come back. The King and I would like for you to be here."

Rhaenyra watched as their personal items were packed and readied for the return to Dragonstone. Unease swept through her at the thought of leaving her only daughter behind. She reminded herself that Laena was a grown woman and she would be with family. Aegon would find her and the dragons would keep her safe. The princess made one last visit to her father's room, conveying some of the evening's events and promising to return soon. Baela and Rhaena had gone without a fuss, though they both looked worried for their half-sister. As they loaded into the carriage, Daemon turned to Alicent and Otto.

"If a single hair on Laena's head is harmed during our absence, I promise you that you will die screaming."

***

Laena Valaryon was sickened by her entire family, by herself, by the very walls of the keep as her world threatened to crumble around her. And so, she did the one thing she was getting good at: she fled.

Tugging her mare from the stables, she swung herself up into the saddle, unbothered by the sound of her dress splitting at the seams. Ser Erryk called out to her as she rode from the gate, but she didn't care. She needed to get away. The dragonkeepers took far too long to bring the beast out and she began to pace back and forth, glancing up the road and praying her mother wouldn't catch up with her, or worse, Aemond. After she mounted, Laena paid no attention to where Starfyre was heading until King's Landing was far behind them. The sun had disappeared and the land below them grew dark before she finally wiped her eyes and regained her focus.

She didn't want to return to the Red Keep; she was far too angry with everyone. Instead, she strained her eyes and focused on her surroundings. They had long passed the trees of The Kingswood and she guessed they were somewhere over The Reach. Laena sighted a flat, green field with a small wooded area and commanded Starfyre to land. Her dress made another tearing sound as she dismounted and looked around, unable to identify a single light or homestead in sight. She picked through the brush under the light of the moon, collecting sticks and small logs to make a fire. When her dress caught in a bush, she tugged, no longer caring how damaged it might be, it was already far beyond any chance of being repaired. She piled the wood as best she could and then gave the command.

"Dracarys." The stack was immediately set ablaze and Laena scooted close to it, enjoying the warmth. She plucked the waterskin from the saddle and returned to the fire, taking a long drink. The princess longed for nothing more than to disappear, to be swallowed up into the earth and remain there. Laena had curled up against Starfyre, forgetting the itch of the twigs stuck in her dress and hair, and was just beginning to fall asleep when she heard it: the unmistakable sound of dragon wings, then the sound of one touching down. She sat up and stared in the direction of the noise, listening for the crunch of footsteps, waiting for the intruder to come into the light of the fire.