Let's Hurt Tonight

True to her word, for the next three days, Laena shadowed her brothers everywhere: the training yard, the dragonpit, and even waiting in the corridor as they used the latrine. By the fourth morning, they were all irritated with each other and ready to kill someone at the slightest inconvenience.

"What?" Luke snapped at her as she stared at him over breakfast.

"Watch your tone, little boy!" she snapped back with a glower.

"Enough!" Rhaenyra commanded and the entire table went silent. "What on earth is going on?"

"Laena has decided we need a nursemaid—"

"You wouldn't need a nursemaid if you weren't acting like you're going to kill each other at every turn! If you stopped behaving like fucking children—" Laena retorted.

"Laena!" Daemon's tone effectively silenced his daughter.

"If you all cannot behave, you will be confined to your apartments, do you understand?" Rhaenyra asked, looking pointedly at each of them. Her children muttered their agreement and Jace and Luke stalked off. "Laena, what has gotten into you?" her mother asked.

"Me? I didn't do anything! I'm the only one trying to keep the peace!" Baela and Rhaenys shared a look, grateful that they had been spending time with Rhaenys and avoiding trouble. Laena sighed and pushed her barely-eaten plate away, her appetite gone...

***

"Niece," she rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest as Aegon's voice interrupted her peace and quiet. Laena had been standing in front of the Weirwood tree, staring at the bleeding scarlet leaves for nearly an hour. For the first time since she had arrived, she felt almost serene. And then Aegon had gone and ruined it.

"Uncle," she replied, glancing at him. "You're not drunk yet..." she added snidely.

"I haven't been drunk since our little family dinner," he informed her. She found that hard to believe, but she nodded. "I haven't done a lot of things since you've been here..." he added.

"Like what?" she asked curiously. He shook his head and shrugged. "Tell me, Aegon," she urged. She remembered how close they had been during her childhood, nearly inseparable... When he visibly swallowed, she knew it was bad.

"I was... I have... Well... I've participated in some unsavory things in King's Landing." Aegon admitted. There was a long silence.

"If they're unsavory,, why are you doing them?" she asked. Aegon sighed.

"I do stupid things when I'm drunk. And I drink to help me feel."

"Feel what?" she asked.

"Just feel, anything..." he replied. She felt sad for him.

"So what are they?"

"If I told you, you'd hate me," he said sadly. She considered her words, almost not wanting to know.

"But you're not doing them now?" she clarified. "And you're not going to do them again, right?" He shook his head and smiled softly.

"I've missed you. You always were my favorite niece, you know," he told her. She laughed.

"I'm you're only niece, you moron." said, bumping his shoulder playfully. They settled into a warm silence.

"You look nice," he offered sincerely. She knew she did. For the first time in days, she had donned her proper court attire. The silk of her sapphire-colored dress shone in the sun, as did her curls.

"Thank you," Laena replied simply. The silence between them grew, eventually becoming uncomfortable. "Is there something I can do for you, Aegon?" His gaze darkened and he grinned at her and she shoved him away with a scoff.