It Ends Tonight

Bright light wormed its way into her unconscious and Laena groaned.

"Why didn't you tell me just how badly you were wounded, Laena?" Rhaenyra's words greeted her when she finally opened her blurry eyes. "I would have never allowed you to fight."

"Mother," she breathed with relief, tears filling her eyes. And then she sat up in a panic, pangs of agony slicing through her. "What happened? Is everyone okay? Did—"

"Calm yourself..." the queen commanded, pressing her back into the pillows and rubbing her arms comfortingly. "Everyone is alright." Laena promptly burst into tears. Thank the gods...

"I thought I failed again." she choked out, "I thought I lost them like I lost Helaena, like I lost Luke..." Her mother shook her head.

"You were right. None of the Gree s left wanted to fight. You did well, my love..." Rhaenyra brushed her hands over her daughter's curls and Laena leaned into her mother's touch. "A good ruler knows when to fight, and when to stay their hand. I'm very proud of you."

"And," she swallowed, "Daemon?" Her body trembled at the thought of him and she instinctively clenched her hand over her stomach.

"In his quarters, under heavy guard." Rhaenyra told her. Laena nodded and then closed her eyes in acceptance.

"I want to see him," she finally said. Her mother sighed. "Mother, please? I want to see him now."

"You're not well enough—"

"Mother!" Hesitantly, Rhaenyra agreed, helping her up and assisting her in dressing. Laena didn't want to see him, she needed to see him. Despite the mix of fear and resentment she held for him, she needed to mend their shattered relationship, sooner than later... If they didn't find common ground the fighting would never truly be over.

"I have so many questions..." she said, as she hobbled along, clinging to Rhaenyra's arm.

"I shall do my best to answer them, my love." her mother replied.

"Ser Erryk?"

"Healing from his injuries, along with his twin." her mother answered. Relief flooded through her at the knowledge that her knight was alright.

"Alicent and her children, Helaena's children?"

"They have all been confined to the Tower of the Hand, for now. They will be given a chance to bend the knee. Do you know what you're going to do about being in love with both of them?" Laena choked in surprise and then doubled over in pain from her exertion.

"No, no I don't." she finally admitted when the pain subsided. Two guards were posted outside the door as they approached. "You can go, mother. I think it's best if I do this alone."

"Are you sure?" Rhaenyra asked. Laena nodded. "The guards are just outside of you need anything." The guards stepped aside and opened the door and she struggled into the room, holding her hand to her abdomen for support.

"Daemon?" The sight that greeted her made her swallow. Laena had expected her anger to resurface. She hadn't expected the scene to unsettle her so deeply. Daemon had visibly aged since she had last laid her eyes on him. He had bags and dark circles beneath his eyes and looked like he hadn't eaten in days. He didn't respond. "Daemon?" she tried again, her knees wobbling as she made her way toward him. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying again.

"Kepa?" He finally blinked and looked up at her.

"Ñuha dōna riña ..." he breathed, a hand reaching out to cup her cheek. My sweet girl... Her stomach was aching and she leaned against his chair for support, gasping for air. He rose and helped her into his seat.