Stone Cold

Laena sat on the edge of her feather mattress, kicking her feet and waiting for her mother to come in and scold her. Crossing her arms over her chest, she gave a huff. It wasn't fair that Aemond purposefully provoked her and she was being punished for it. She felt as if the walls of the keep were slowly closing in around her. She was both surprised and relieved when Daemon entered the room instead.

"Gaomagon jaelā naejot brōzagon rȳ nyke syt daor issare iā riña tolī, kepa?" Do you want to yell at me for not behaving like a lady, too, father? She asked the words miserably and he shook his head and sat beside her on the bed. Daemon's thumb slid over her lip against the crusted blood, looking for an injury.

"It's not mine," she informed him, earning the raise of her father's brows. "I er... I hit him in the face," she added, hoping he didn't notice the way she flushed and averted her eyes.

"You shouldn't fight while here at court, especially not with the princes. You know I allow you to do as you wish at home, but here... People will talk."

"Let them talk," she huffed, "those boys act like spoiled twats." Daemon chuckled and kissed her temple.

"As true as that may be, I'm afraid your mother is quite serious about your punishment. Behave yourself for a few days and she may be inclined to release you..." Laena grumbled and fell back on the bed. "It's your own fault, my love," he told her. "She did warn you all to behave." And then she was left alone in the dim light of her quarters to consider her actions...

For three days she remained confined in her rooms. While she was meant to be stewing over her own actions, all she stewed over was her own anger. Why was she being punished when her uncle had been the one to bait her? Why was she scolded for her language, yet any of her brothers could say what they pleased? By the third day, she had already flipped through the three books Aylen had brought her.  She wanted to kill someone, or herself. Anything for her to be released from her prison. The knock at her door startled her awake on the fourth morning of her captivity. She was spending more time in bed than usual, but she had little else to do.

"Niece?" Aegon opened the door, without bothering to wait for her answer, and peeked inside.

"Go away!" she mumbled, pulling the covers over her head. She didn't want to see him; she didn't want to see anyone.

"Come on, your mother said you can come out if you behave... You can't stay in here forever." Laena muttered angrily to herself. She was nearly a woman grown and she had been sent to her room like a fucking child; being reminded of the fact didn't help things. "Come on niece, I'm sure Starfyre misses you." She sat up then, her attention caught. Aegon grinned as she peeked hopefully out of the covers."Let's go flying..."

As Aegon waited in the hall, Laena pulled on her leather riding trousers and a tunic and then hurried to lace up her boots. She was ready in less than five minutes, not even bothering to tie her hair back. She yanked open her door, gripped him by the wrist, and eagerly tugged him down the hall...

**

The silver and gold dragons twisted and spiraled around one another and the princess laughed with unbridled delight. She felt free, careless, at home, for the first time since she had been back. For a brief moment, it felt like it had when they were children. Laena wasn't sure how long they were flying, but she spotted an open field and commanded Starfyre to touch down. Sunfyre followed and Laena watched as the dragons wandered off, side by side, rubbing their snouts together. It almost looked like they were playing with one another; she had never seen her dragon do that before.

Laena and Aegon sat in the field, basking in the warmth of the sun. She laid back in the grass and closed her eyes, relishing in the momentary freedom their flight had given her. Then Aegon reached over to play with her curls, and she rolled her eyes. She knew enough by now to realize he did that every time he wanted something from her.