Bleed Well

Laena squinted against the light that suddenly pierced through the darkness, making her skull throb. The fog in her mind slowly evaporated and she blinked until her vision cleared. For a split moment, she almost felt relieved to find herself in her room at the Red Keep. Almost... And then that moment ended as memories of recent events came washed over her like a tidal wave of horror. King Viserys was dead, the greens had usurped her mother's throne and—

Laena leaned over and dry heaved as images of Lucerys flooded her mind. Aemond killed him in front of her, in spite of her eyes begging for mercy at Storm's End, in spite of her following on her dragon, screaming for her brother. Bile crawled up her throat and she vomited what little contents her stomach contained into the chamber pot, her insides burning. She wiped her mouth and sat back in the bed, a daze watching over her.

Feeling strangely detached, she glanced around at the rooms she had considered her home only days before. Now she didn't feel a thing. Her surroundings felt grey, numb, unreal... Something inside her must have cracked because she felt absolutely nothing. Her anger, her grief, the brief madness she had experienced with Aemond in the mud, it was all gone. She felt... Empty.

Why hadn't the prince killed her when he had the chance? Surely— Her eyes widened as the realization hit her; her prior fears had come true. She was a hostage, a bargaining chip for the greens. No... She wouldn't allow it; she couldn't do that to her mother. Laena glanced around the room, hoping she had something that could be used as a weapon, if not for her enemies, then for herself. Her head spun as she climbed out of bed and stumbled around the room, ignoring her soreness, opening drawers, and searching the contents of her wardrobe and drawers.

Eventually, she shuffled over to the window. With no other options, it would do. She refused to give them the satisfaction of using her to keep her family in line. Fuck Aemond, fuck Aegon, fuck everything she felt for them. Otto and Alicent weren't going to get the satisfaction of using her as a pawn. Gritting her teeth and bracing for the pain, she struck against the window.

The pane made a small cracking noise but did not break. She hit the glass, again and again, barely registering the aching in her hands, until a fissure finally appeared in the glass. Her fingers bled as she pushed against the jutting pieces, splintering them off until the space was nearly cleared. Her window wasn't as large as some of the others in the castle; she would have to duck to fit. Laena made the mistake of glancing down and hesitated. Would it hurt?

She closed her eyes and swallowed her momentary fear. Then, in her mind, she could see her family waiting for her, as clear as crystal. Laenor smiled at her, Ser Harwin Strong cradled little baby Visenya in his arms as Luke patted Arrax's scales. I love you, mother. Be strong...Kill them all... Her final thought was resolute as she perched on the edge of the window, eager to join her brother and fathers.

Laena never heard the door behind her open, or the sharp intake of breath as boots rushed across the room toward the window. She let go of the edge, leaned forward, and waited for the blackness to envelop her. Instead, she was yanked backward, and pulled back into her prison. She gripped the edges of the window, blood flowing from her hands as she fought against the arms wrapped around her waist.

"Let me go, let me go! I'm ready; they're waiting for me! Please, let me go!" Her voice cracked as she begged for release, struggling against him on the floor.

"I can't," the voice behind her replied, thick with sorrow; breathing heavily.

"Why?" Laena breathed, finally turning to look at Aemond.

"Because... I love you..." he answered, his violet eye staring into hers. She shook her head at him.

"Liar," she murmured, "you don't love anybody... You—you killed my brother!" She shouted, wrenching herself away from him.