Dont Blink

Laena and her family were gathered around the painted table to talk of strategy and how to proceed. Corlys had pledged his fleet to their cause and it eased the worry on the Rhaenyra's face. Nothing of the day, however, shocked Laena quite as much as her brother insisting that their mother send the boys halfway across the realm as envoys. The children had remained mostly quiet as Rhaenyra and her council discussed their options. But when Jacaerys insisted that the boys take the messages, Laena was caught off guard. Why would Jace want to get involved? The look he shot her told her enough. He wanted to help them succeed where she had failed. She should have burned them all; her older brother blamed her for whatever happened next...

"It's been said that as Targaryens, we are closer to gods than to men," Rhaenyra told Jace and Luke, out on the balcony. "And the Iron Throne puts us a touch closer, perhaps. But, if we are to serve the Seven Kingdoms... we must answer to their gods. If you take this errand, you go as messengers... not as warriors. You must take no part in any fighting. Swear it to me now under the eyes of the Seven."

"I swear it."

"I swear it."

"Thank you. Cregan Stark is... close to your age than is mine. I would hope, that as men, you can find some common interest."

"Yes, Your Grace."

"Storm's End is a short flight from here. You have Baratheon blood from your grandmother, Rhaenys. And..." she turned to Luke, "Lord Borros is an eternally proud man. He will be honored to host a prince of the realm... and his dragon. I expect you will receive a very warm welcome."

"Our dragons..." Laena interjected, and the trio turned to her in surprise. She had spent days wallowing in her guild and anger and she needed to be a part of their plan. They hadn't even noticed her lingering near the doorway. "I will go with Lucerys, my little brother. I will not sit blindly by as the boys in the family do all the work." Her mother sighed and then smiled.

"Go to it then." Rhaenyra finally said.

"You don't trust me to take a message on my own?" her little brother complained as she readied Starfyre.

"Otto Hightower said that offers have been made, to the very houses we are treating with. There's a chance that Lord Borros has already sided with the greens. I hope that in both of us going, together, we will have a better chance to sway him to our cause." Luke seemed to relax at her words. "If it helps, I will let you speak. I'm merely going to offer extra support and help negotiate if the need should arise."

Aptly named, the heavens poured down on them as they arrived at Storm's End. Arrax was disgruntled by the weather and Luke had to repeatedly calm him.

"Gīda, Starfyre.  Kesan māzigon arlī, dōna zaldrīzes. Stay calm, I will return, sweet dragon," she whispered, giving her a pat. Starfyre settled on the ground. Lighting cracked through the sky and a great roar followed. Luke and Laena's eyes fell on Vhagar's monstrous form just outside the walls of the castle, as she let out a great roar, and they shared a look. If Vhagar was in Storm's End, so was her rider.

"Don't think on it, Luke. I'm here..." she reassured him as they approached the guards, even as she swallowed the nervous lump in her throat. She didn't want to see him, she wasn't ready to rub salt into that wound...

"I am Prince Lucerys Velaryon, this is my sister, Princess Laena. We bring a message to Lord Borros from the Queen."

"Prince Lucerys Velaryon, son of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. Princess Laena Velaryon, daughter of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen." Laena grimaced as they entered the round hall, steeling herself for whatever awaited them. The Round hall was mostly barren; cold feeling, a suitable place to reunite with the man who had utterly betrayed her trust.