Hallelujah

"Again!" Laena pivoted left and struck with her left blade first and Aemond easily sidestepped her swing. The prince brought down his sword and she rolled across the dirt, skidding to a halt on her knees. They had been at it for hours and Laena was breathing hard, tiring from her exertion. Daemon watched from the balcony, calling out his critiques to her.

"Next time, plant your foot before you come out of the roll!" Laena rolled her eyes and huffed. She wanted the practice but Daemon had been relentlessly scolding her as she sparred with her husband. Aemond ducked her next blow and whacked her on the arse with the flat side of his sword.

"Fuck!" she yelled, tossing down her blades in frustration. When the prince laughed at her, she snarled and lunged at him, tackling him to the ground and straddling him around the waist.

"Laena, it's not that ser—" The princess attempted to strike him and he caught her fist just before it collided with his cheek.

"Smug, fucking bastard!" she huffed.

"No, my love, that would be you..." he hissed, watching with satisfaction as her violet eyes widened with fury. He loved how easy it was to get a rise out of her. In one, fluid motion, he rolled them both across the dirt, pinning her beneath him. "Too easy, wife," he sneered, nuzzling the edge of her jaw. The smile fell from his face as Laena promptly burst into tears.

"Laena?" He scrambled off of her and helped her to a sitting position. Aemond knelt beside her in the dirt. "You know I didn't mean it, love..." The princess was bent over with her head buried in her arms. She nodded, but continued to sob and Aemond could do nothing but watch with concern.

"Move, boy," Daemon commanded, pushing him out of the way. "Laena?" When he received no response, the King Consort scooped his daughter up from the ground and carried her inside...

Aemond paced outside the room, waiting for the maesters to be finished Luceron on his hip. The babe was just under a year old and nearly too heavy to comfortable hold for very long. When Rhaenyra arrived, she quickly plucked the child from his arms.

"What's going on in there?" the Queen asked. Aemond shrugged.

"Daemon won't let me in." Rhaenyra raised an eyebrow at her half-brother. "I didn't mean to make her cry, I was just teasing!"

"You made her cry?" Aegon asked, joining them in the corridor.

Finally! Aemond thought when the door opened and Daemon stepped out with the maesters at his side.

"You should all come in..." the King Consort told them, solemn faced. Aemond's heart plummeted into his stomach and he shared a worried look with his brother. Laena looked awful. Her eyes were rimmed red and she looked frightfully pale. Had Aemond only seen her a few short hours before?

"What is it?" Rhaenyra's asked nervously.

"Maester Orwyle says it's no longer safe for me to train." Laena informed them grimly.

"Oh, gods, what happened?" Jacaerys asked from the doorway, Baela at his side with her hand over her swelling belly. Laena locked eyes with her stepsister across the room and smiled tightly.

"Nothing's happened, dear brother. He said it's not good for the babe." Dispite looking like she was going to be ill at any moment, a grin split across her face as her gaze met his across the room. Jace's groan broke through the surprised silence.

"Another one?" he asked. Laena laughed and nodded, placing a hand over her nonexistent belly. It seemed surreal to think she would soon be bringing another life into the world. "Do you know who—" Baela smacked her husband across the chest and the question died on his lips, but the damage was done and the room grew immediately uncomfortable.