Chapter 4

I don't know what I'm suppose to say but hope you enjoy!

He slept through most of the day and night, only waking up when meals were served. The food was pretty crappy though, he wished he snagged some more of Dad's breakfast yesterday. Speaking of Dad, he's meeting him today. At least that is what he thinks it is, Mendel told him that he would be having visitors.

Finishing off his goopy porridge with discontempt, he heard knocking from the other side of the door. A blonde haired nurse entered the room, he wondered where Mendel was.
"Good morning Sir. Your visitors will be arriving soon, I'll be collecting your cutlery. Do you need any more painkillers for your injuries?" She slowly bowed her head down greeting him, her voice dipped in a honey like fakeness.

"Yes please." He replied, stretching out his hand for the medication. She unscrewed the cap, taking one pill out. Handing it over, she smiled at him. What's with these nurses giving him no water with the medication they were giving?

Lifting the white pill up to his mouth, he swallowed with difficulty. She took his cutlery, and left, not bothering to say goodbye. Excitement blossomed in his chest, as he thought how he was going to see Dad after this whole incident.

When the pain started to turn numb, he heard knocking again. A second later, two Authority agents entered the room. Excitement instantly was demolished, and he soon was filled with confusion.
Where were the Authorities here? Where was Dad? He thought that he was coming, not these two strangers.
"Hello there, we are here on behalf of the Authorities. My name is Leah." A tall red haired woman in glasses shook his hand. Letting go after a few seconds of continuous shaking, she let the other agent introduce himself.

"My name is James." A green haired man said, also shaking his hand. His hands, after the shake, clenched the blanket on top of him tightly. What did they want? What had they done to Dad?
"John." He replied, feeling a sense of uneasiness.
"How has your stay at the hospital been?" He questioned, smiling with his lips. Feeling the agent's ability active he looked up to his baby blue eyes, seeing the glow come from them. Why was his ability active?
"It's been alright." He stated, wanting the conversation to be over. The agent's gaze rubbed him the wrong way.
"Good. My morning has been great as well, what did you have for breakfast?" He asked, still staring at him with his glowing eyes. Why was this guy acting so weird? The Authorities are never this friendly.
"Porridge, you?" He asked, slowly relaxing his clenched hands.
"Coffee with toast, did you have anything with your porridge?" The agent asked, this guy seemed very talkative.
"Orange juice, which tasted pretty sweet." He looked at his eyes, and continued, "So, what are you doing here?" He asked, not wanting to beat around the bush anymore.
"Oh, do you not like sweet stuff?" He asked, seeming to ignore what he previously asked. Ok, this was getting even more weird but he'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he didn't hear him. James seemed like a nice guy, he wouldn't just ignore his questions. Right?
"No, it's just that it was quite sweet, that's all." He justified, yawning slightly afterwards.
"Alright. So John, my friend, we are here to help out with your little problem. It seems that you have no caretaker, and since you're a minor you need one. The Authorities have taken the initiative and have gotten you a new guardian." He explained. When he said the no caretaker part, it confused him. He thought he had Dad, what happened to him?

"What about Dad?" He questioned, worry spreading through his body.
"Well, the Authorities found out that your previous caretaker was ill fit to look after you. Because of this, we took care of that problem so that you would be safe. After all, we wouldn't want him to hurt you again." He said, not noticing the smirk developing on the other agents' face.
"What? Hurt me? When?" He squawked, what did he mean? Dad has never hurt hi-but why would James ever lie?
"Oh, you didn't know? The reason you're here is because of him. Don't worry though, you are in safe hands now." His glowing eyes were filled with sympathy, as he put his hand on my shoulder.
What? Dad did this to him? Why? Why did he do it? Because he hates you, he sees you as a lost cause just like all the others. No, Dad isn't like that, he cares. Does he? It must be all just a misunderstanding. Is it? The Authorities are lying. Why are you so sure? For all you know he was faking it this whole time. Trying to keep you under control, and when he finally saw that it was too much work, he bailed. After all, who wouldn't want a high tier as a son. He must have felt so happy when you got your ability, probably bragged to everyone about it. Admit it, he tricked you, and you trusted him. He shook his head. No, he would never do something like that. Is that all you can say?
You're in denial, and you know it. Accept the truth. Accept that the Authorities are right. You'll be safe from now on, you'll be happier, you'll be better off without that liar. Will I? Of course you will, you're crazy to think otherwise.

"Now, we'll be departing soon. We'll give you half an hour to get ready for our departure. Please don't be late." James said, breaking him out of his thoughts. He looked up, seeing both of the agents leaving the room. Was that all true? Was Dad just a fake all along? Did he really not care? No, this must be just a whole misunderstanding. It must, right? Right?

After a couple of minutes, the same blonde haired nurse came in with his clothes. She set down his shirt and shorts, and smiled politely, "Sir, I'll be waiting behind the door, so please tell me when you've changed so that I can escort you to the agents."

Nodding slightly to her instruction, she left the room. He pulled off the white hospital blanket, his vision spinning slightly when sitting up. Trying to distract himself from his ongoing thoughts in his head, he grabbed the pile of clothes and changed into them. That's when he realized that he didn't have any shoes to put on, after all, he wasn't wearing any shoes that morning of the incident.
Guessing that the hospital probably didn't have any spare pair of sneakers or thongs laying around, he just decided to just tough it out. He told the nurse that he was ready to leave, and saw her come in and take his hand.

Leaving the room, silence ensued. The nurse seemed to not be in the mood to talk, he kind of wished that Mendel was with him instead. At least then she would be talking to him, distracting him from his current thoughts about Dad.
The closer they arrived to what he assumed was the front entrance of the hospital, the louder it got. Not that he minded, he kind of missed the sound of constant chatter. Well until he thought of school, and his current suspension.
Sighing, he saw both of the agents sitting in chairs. They were talking with each other, as the nurse pulled him to them.
"Hello, patient thirteen is here as you requested." The nurse stated, getting the attention from both of the agents.
"Thank you." The red haired agent said, taking his wrist with her hand. He flinched slightly, not knowing why this sudden fear flashed through him. He started to shake slightly, and his heart started to beat wildly. Breathing deeply, he tried to compose himself. Nothing bad was happening, so why was he freaking out? Breath, you're going to be okay.
The agent that was holding his wrist didn't seem to notice his internal panic though, and started to pull him along. Feeling the cement skid against his bare feet, he looked up, seeing a black car with tinted windows that they were heading to.

After a few seconds of being pulled along, he was put at the back of the car. The door shut loudly in his face, as Leah, at least that is what he thought her name was, got into the passenger seat at the front. He put his seatbelt on as the car engine ignited. Opting to distract himself, he decided to start a conversation with them," So, how far away is this place?"
"Two hours, you'll have everything explained when we arrive." She stated, making him keep his ongoing questions silent for the time being. Choosing to look out the window instead, he started to drown into thoughts he wanted to avoid.