Chapter 3 Part 5 Farewell, My Sweetheart

We went around to the back of the Ferris wheel.

We hid among the trees and took pictures of the surroundings again with the digital camera.

After looking at the photos, a shudder ran through me.

The 32 pods of the Ferris wheel are all equipped with 'M4' carbines.

I couldn't help but get goosebumps just looking at the photos. It feels like I have encountered a monster of unknown origin. "What's going on here......"

"Just as I thought." Kirigiri approached the Ferris wheel. "Yui- onēsama, come here too."

We climbed over the fence and entered the amusement park again.

The giant pillars of the Ferris wheel are very close together. We approached cautiously, trying not to make any noise.

On the way, I accidentally tripped over my step and almost fell into a large round hole at my feet, almost screaming. It's an underground manhole, and it's open since the manhole cover is broken. I covered my mouth and managed to swallow back my screaming.

Kirigiri didn't notice my mishap. She climbed directly under the Ferris wheel first and tiptoed on the platform. She tried to look into the pod at the bottom. I quickly followed her example.

Looking inside the pod, the 'M4' is fixed in the center with a tripod, and there is something similar to a switch on the trigger, with a wire connected to it.

The other end of the wire is connected to two laptops, placed side by side on the seat, both closed, but seemingly not turned off.

"Is this..."

"A computer-controlled unmanned weapon."

One of the assassins, 'M4' is actually an unmanned weapon—

With advancements in sensing technology, automated weapons such as unmanned or automatic turrets have been developed to a level where they can be used in actual combat. In the future, detectives may also have to take unmanned murder weapons into consideration.

"They probably needed 32 of them to be ready to fire at any time in the 168 hours. The gun that fires is always the one at the top, and when it runs out of ammo or batteries, the Ferris wheel will rotate to move the next pod to the top, like a giant revolver."

"They've made yet another outrageous mechanism..." "Let's check inside."

"Can we get close?"

"The back of this machine seems to be the blind spot."

Kirigiri jumped inside the pod through the broken window using the platform she was standing on, and I jumped in after her. The pod swayed from side to side, making it feel like a bit of an attraction.

"I really wish I could ride the Ferris wheel with you on a different day."

"I wish so too." Kirigiri murmured, opening the lid of the laptop on the seat. "Hmm... ok... this seems to work with face recognition, not motion detection."

"What do you mean?"

"There is a small camera attached to the gun's mounting rail. If that camera detects the face of a registered target, it will fire."

"And this is what shot Lico and Johnny."

"My face is also registered. It looks like the picture was taken recently. I wonder when it was taken."

"But when we approached the 'Mirror House', Kirigiri-chan, you didn't get shot at."

"Yes, because I always thought that the sniper might be hiding on the Ferris wheel, I have been very careful not to expose my body to the other side's ballistic path. Climbing over the fence was the most dangerous, but it was still quite a distance from this place, so maybe the camera didn't recognize it was me."