Chapter 1- Part 3 Shoot Down the Angel

Back in the present – 06:30 AM

Mikagami looked out the window.

As Johnny have predicted, the snow have already started falling less, and it looks like it might stop at any time, the surroundings are brightening up, allowing to see far away. The sky is still overcast, not exactly a refreshing morning, but a perfect day for sniping.

At some point, Johnny had taken out the gun from his ski bag and set it up in the seated shooting position as earlier. He is using a sniper rifle with a high-precision scope, and his posture is as impeccable as a statue. He remained completely still, without a hint of the fluctuation of his breath. A perfect stillness, so to speak. He is in silence as if he has regained his original form of being one with his gun.

The bullet was loaded, and the finger is on the trigger.

The 'Murder Weapon' targeted by team Kirigiri is outside the window of the next room. Johnny did not choose that room as the sniper point, but is staying in the neighboring room.

As for the reason, Johnny didn't specifically explain it, but Mikagami could deduce it. There is a large birch tree standing in front of the window of the next room, and about 10% of the frontal field of vision is blocked, so Johnny chose the neighboring room to ensure the widest possible field of vision.

There are several other reasons that can be deduced. The next room will be visited later by the murderer to prepare the 'Murder Weapon', so it cannot be occupied by Johnny and Mikagami. Now that the snow has stopped, there is no telling when the perpetrator will make his move to carry out the murder. No one must get in the way by mistake.

Mikagami and Johnny's goal is to ensure the smooth progress of the 'Black Challenge', so they need to prevent the perpetrator from having any extra doubts. For example, Mikagami and Johnny retrieving the outdoor 'Murder Weapon' in advance to protect it from being sniped by team Kirigiri will not work, if someone else moved the 'Murder Weapon' that was supposed to be outside, and the culprit found out about that, he would undoubtedly be in disarray. His indecision might cause the crime to be postponed, perhaps even in this case until the 168 hour deadline.

To defeat Kirigiri and Yui, playing little tricks like this won't do.

It's enough to simply concentrate on how to carry out the counter-sniping.

However—

Mikagami put down the binoculars, picked up the rangefinder, and looked out the window vigilantly.

The field of vision was panned slowly from left to right. Still no sign of them.

It's almost time for them to show up.

Of course, they should be wearing camouflage so that they can blend in with the snowy mountains.

However, Mikagami is still very confident that if there is any movement, it will definitely not escape his eyes.

But there is not the slightest sign of a moving object. The wind blew through the tree line, the snowflakes flickered, and flew in the air, gradually disappeared like a phantom.

He looked further ahead on the tree line.

Since there are few obstructions in this straight line, that is the most suitable place for an enemy to snipe from.

But on the flip side, from this side, it also looks like that place is easier to snipe. Even the tiniest shadow has nowhere to hide there, but still no one is in sight.

Beyond the road is a birch forest.

If they are hiding in the woods and moving, there should be traces on the snow, but there are no similar traces in the vicinity.