Chapter 21 - Luke

Luke Reynolds

"Go back to sleep," Trevor mumbles sleepily into my hair.

"It's cold, let me close the window," I untangle myself from him.

I pull the curtain back, pausing for a second as the starry night catches my attention. There's nothing like a star-filled sky.

I go to close the window when Ma's car rattles down the street. She needs a new car, but she's unwilling to part with the memories the car holds. I mean I don't blame her, some of my best childhood memories with Ma are of us driving around on a night. She'd have a night off but never able to sleep, so we'd drive around singing and talking, stopping at McDonald's for chicken nuggets. I know it's probably not considered great parenting, but it was our thing. May explain my slightly fucked up sleep schedule, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

"Come back to bed," Trevor grumbles.

"I will in a second, let me just make sure Ma gets in okay."

I watch her park the car and get out. She double-checks the lock on the car before walking into the garden.

"Addy!" I hear Ma shout.

Is Adrien sitting outside in the cold?

I thought he'd be asleep by now. Him and his 4 am starts.

I feel arms wrap around me, as he rests his chin on my shoulder, "I thought you were sleeping."

"Figured you'd be cold," he whispers tiredly.

I can't help but smile, leaning back against him.

Always putting others' needs above his own.

I listen out for the door closing, but the sound never comes, instead, all I can hear is their conversation. It's dead at night, so I can hear them clearly.

Did Ma visit Adrien two and half weeks ago?

Before school started? Why?

I mean not that she can't.

She does consider him her adopted son after all.
I just didn't realise she continued to see him.

The whole summer no one hears from or sees Adrien, but Ma?

It just seems strange.

Why didn't Ma tell me she was seeing him?

Is she hiding things from me?

What else don't I know?

I don't mind Adrien and Ma having a relationship, I just don't like being kept in the dark about things.

But do I have any right to know what they talk about? Or that she visits him?

Ma considers Adrien a second son. She doesn't need my approval or permission to see or speak to Adrien.

I'm being insecure.

"Come on, close the window and let's go back to bed," Trevor says more awake now.

"I'll just wait here until they go inside."

"They'll be fine, they've got each other. Come on," Trevor says holding my hand.

I'm about to let him pull me back into bed when I hear Adrien say, "Trevor knows why but Luke doesn't know everything."

What don't I know?

I thought he cleared everything up on the phone the other night.

"Luke come on, this conversation isn't for our ears," Trevor says, worry clear in his voice.