Sweet Summer Love

Max yawns and rises from her bed, looking over to see Chris, laying on his side and facing away from her. 

He hadn't been the same recently

He would wake up looking tired, sweat on his face, and his eyes would hold a terrified expression. But he never talked about it, no matter how Max tried to help him, Chris refused to talk about the nightmares that plagued his mind when he slept. Chris shifts once more in his sleep and Max looks at him with sympathy before rolling on her side and hugging him which seemed to work as he stopped shifting so hard in his sleep. Moments later, Chris wakes up with a soft groan making Max smile softly at the boy. "Morning" Chris groans "Morning.." "How did you sleep?" Chris pauses for a second "Better with you here.." 

The two stay silent for a moment before Max breaks the silence. "Hey if..if you're having a bad dream..or if you're..going through something..you know you can come to me, right?" Chris nods "Yeah..I know.." Max then turns Chris to face her "Then can you please tell me what's wrong?" Chris stares at Max for a moment before shaking his head. "I'm sorry..but I can't." Max frowns slightly "Alright, but..tell me when you feel you can alright?" Chris nods, a small smile on his face "I will.." Max sits up and stretches, followed by Chris who yawns as he stretches. 

"I'll see you later today for Dustin's Welcome Back right?" Chris asks and Max nods "Yep, see you there Orlando." Max kisses the boy on the lips and Chris kisses back before opening Max's window, climbing out, and landing on the ground. 

"This is Gold Leader returning to base, do you copy? Over." Chris turns off his walkie "He's entered Hawkins!" Chris shouts and a chorus of "Copy!" from the others follow suit. Chris attaches his walkie to the back of his jeans before heading over to Max and Lucas who are helping Will write a 'Welcome Home Dustin!' Banner. "Looks great you guys, I always forget how talented you are Will." Will blushes slightly and scratches the back of his head "Oh uh, thanks.."

 Chris kisses Max's cheek and kneels next in between the two. "So, how can I help?" Will and Max smile and Will hands Chris a marker, carefully instructing the boy on what to do. With everyone's combined effort, they're able to finish the banner and the others quickly hide while Chris acts as lookout. 

10 minutes later, Chris spots the Henderson car and he quickly moves to where the rest are hiding. "Alright, Dustin is here." The others nod and they hear the door open and close. Dustin walks toward his room while Mrs. Henderson walks past the kids smiling and putting a finger over her mouth making the other kids smile. 

"At least someone is happy I'm home." Dustin mutters toward his pet tortoise before a robotic voice echoes throughout the room and Dustin whirls around to see his robotic toys starting to come to life and move on their own, and out of his room. Dustin watches them with fear before grabbing a hair spray bottle and slowly following them. "You're dreaming..you're just dreaming.." Dustin mutters as he slowly follows the toys.

Dustin walks past the group as he continues to follow the toys. Mike turns to El "Now!" He whispers and El snaps her eyes open turning off the toys and causing them to stop in the center of the living room. As Dustin begins to investigate the toys, the group sneaks up behind him with Lucas holding the banner. 

3

2

1

They blow noisemakers making Dustin scream in fear and unless the hairspray onto his unfortunate victim, Lucas. Lucas begins to scream in pain and El backs up into Mike and Chris backs into Max. This goes on for a minute until Dustin realizes who he's attacking with hairspray.