The Wanderer

September 8th 1979

Hawkins National Laboratory stands proud against the miles upon miles of forest it is surrounded by. Almost every parking spot is filled as scientists and lab assistants make their way inside the building for work. Several rooms were for general studies which the government had set up as a secure front for anyone who had any questions about the experiments being done inside, especially when crazed mothers and fathers had filed many claims in recent years over the head scientist "kidnapping" their children.

However, there was one room that would prove the crazed mothers right. One room, which was hidden deep underground and guarded from the upper floors of the laboratory.

The Rainbow Room

Inside, two children crawl on their hands and knees, chasing after two play toys which slide across the rainbow on the center of the floor. Another child, slightly older looking than the previous two, holds a multi shaped toy, as they walk to a different part of the room. Two more children sit across from one another, watching spinning tops. One child grabs two small boards from a collection of board games, and walks past a child who is using chips, sending them down a large display. Two more are playing chess, neither one giving the other a second to breathe as the each take a piece off the board. Two children stand at a row of toys, debating which one to choose before one makes their pick, sitting next to two other children: one playing with blocks, and one moving a marble with their mind; guiding its path via their finger. 

Dr. Brenner steps inside the room with a calculated look, examining each of the children in quick succession before finding the one he was searching for. "That's your favorite, isn't it?" Brenner sighs as he sits down next to the child, who silently watches the doctor. "How are you feeling today?" "Okay" The child tells him "Are you up for some more lessons?" Brenner asks with a smile and the child shakes a ball with Brenner glancing at it before glancing back to the child. "Come with me then, Ten." 

Brenner grabs Ten's hand and walks himself and Ten out the door, all under the gaze of one of the children who had been absentmindedly writing in the small office section of the room when Dr. Brenner came in. "Twelve" Twelve snapped his head over to the sound of his voice, seeing a doctor had been the one to call. "Come with me please." Twelve stood up, easily noticing the device in the doctor's hand. The two wordlessly exit the Rainbow room, and make their way to Twelve's own room, where the doctors normally did lessons.

Chris shoots up, grasping at his neck but finding only his skin. Chris then looked around at his surroundings, easily noticing the sandy and rock formations that surrounded his body. After Brenner had made his escape, Chris had walked aimlessly through the wasteland, attempting to find civilization. He had walked until his feet gave out, the shoes he had stolen from a dead solider before disintegrating him were definitely two sizes too big and it didn't help him in the slightest, besides keeping his feet out of the sand. After recovering from the shock of his nightmare and his memories, Chris stands up and begins walking once more.

We'll kill that bastard!

We must find Max, Brenner has already escaped, it's pointless to go after him.

We don't even know where Max is! She could have moved out of Hawkins. After all, she lost Billy AND you. Maybe she off-

Chris latches onto a rock formation, turning it to dust in an instant

Watch your mouth

The voice in his head goes silent for a moment. As if debating the pros and cons of the moment. Chris sighs as he continues to walk. Whatever Brenner had done to him had messed him up. Physically, he was great. Mentally however? Well that was a different story. The new voice in his head, seemed to be the personification of his negative thoughts, rash thinking, and violent actions.

Oh don't act like an angel compared to me! I may be a 'personification' of all that, but it's still your choice. You wanted to kill those guards and those scientists. You want to hunt down Brenner and slaughter him just as much as I do!

Chris sighs once more and nods his head. The voice wasn't wrong in the slightest. However, he wanted- no- NEEDED, to see Max again. She was his everything, his other half, his partner in crime. 'How are we even sure we're going the right way?' The voice laughs 'Beats me, this is a desert, dummy. Everything looks the fuckin same here!' Once again, the voice in his head was right. He was simply a Wanderer in the desert, trying to find his way back to civilization. 

Maybe if we hadn't dusted everyone on sight, we could of had a free ride back to civilization, huh?

No shit, but it's too late for that now huh?

Oh don't act sassy with me mister, I'm simply pointing out a fact!

Chris groans and he could also picture a grin on the voice's face, if it had one. 

What is it that little girl once said to Lucas?

You mean Erika?

Yeah, her, something like...oh, got it! "Just the facts!"

Chris rolls his eyes and the voice laughs at Chris' reaction. 'I liked you better when you were quiet.' 'You mean when I didn't exist?' 'Exactly' 'HA, well maybe you can ask the doctor to put me back with you before we reduce his atomic structure to dust.' Chris laughs and shakes his head "Like he would just let us" 'Ooo talking to me out there and not in here with your thoughts huh? Booold' The voice laughs and Chris shrugs "It's just me and you out here, no one to think I'm crazy?" 'Aren't you crazy already?' Chris laughs "Maybe, maybe I already was." The voice goes silent again and the two stay silent as they make their way across the plains. 

Night fell once again and Chris sighs 'Tired?' Chris nods "Shouldn't you know? You're in my own head." 'Meh, true' Chris lays against a new rock formation he had found, it wasn't five star quality comfort, but it was something to keep the sand out of his hair. 'Hey, are we cutting the hair?' "No" 'Seriously? Well isn't it just a little too long? It's gotta be getting in the way of your sight, right?' "No" '...You're kidding, right?' "No" 'Do you say anything other than no?!' "...Yes" 'Oh you little-

"Look, I'm very tired, and I'm sure you are as well, so please just..drop this for tonight. The sooner I get some rest, the sooner I get up, and the sooner I can find Max."

You mean Brenner?

"No, Max is my number one priority."

Chris says before drifting off into sleep, the voice in his head shutting down with him as sleep overcame his body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

Even though the voice is Chris' own voice in his head. I wrote the voice with Alex Brightman in mind

See ya next time :D