𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬: 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚇𝚇𝚅𝙸

𖣘𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚋𝚢𝚎𝚜𖣘

{ ˢᵐᵃˡˡ ⁱⁿᶠᵒʳᵐᵃᵗⁱᵒⁿ; ᵃᵗʰᵉⁿᵃ'ˢ ᶜᵒᵘˢⁱⁿ ⁱˢ ᵒˡᵈᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ˢʰᵉ ⁱˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵍᵒᵉˢ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵒˡˡᵉᵍᵉ ˢᵒ ʰᵉ ˡⁱᵛᵉˢ ᵃˡᵒⁿᵉ.}

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐁𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 forest edge, ranging a dozen meters apart

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐁𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 forest edge, ranging a dozen meters apart. The first male into the clearing fell back immediately, allowing the other male to take the front, orienting himself around the tall, dark-haired man in a manner that displayed who led the pack. The third was a woman; from this distance, all she could see of her was that her hair was a startling shade of red. They closed ranks before they continued cautiously toward Edward's family, exhibiting the natural respect of a troop of predators as it encounters a larger, unfamiliar group of its own kind.

As they approached, Athena could see how different they were from the Cullens.
They dressed in the ordinary gear of backpackers: jeans and casual button-down shirts in heavy, weatherproof fabrics. The clothes were frayed, though, with wear, and they were barefoot. Both men had cropped hair, but the woman's brilliant orange hair was filled with leaves and debris from the woods.

Their sharp eyes carefully took in the more polished, urbane stance of Carlisle, who, flanked by Emmett and Jasper, stepped guardedly forward to meet them. Without any seeming communication between them, they each straightened into a more casual, erect bearing.

The man in the front was easily the most beautiful, his skin olive-toned beneath the typical pallor, his hair a glossy black. He was of a medium build, hard-muscled, of course, but nothing next to Emmett's brawn.

He smiled an easy smile, exposing a flash of gleaming white teeth.

The woman was wilder, her eyes shifting restlessly between the men facing her, and the loose grouping around the human, her chaotic hair quivering in the slight breeze. Her posture was distinctly feline. The second male hovered unobtrusively behind them, slighter than the leader, his light brown hair and regular features both nondescript. His eyes, though completely still, somehow seemed the most vigilant. Their eyes were different, too. Not the gold or black she had come to expect, but a deep burgundy color that was disturbing and sinister.

The dark-haired man, still smiling, stepped toward Carlisle.

"We thought we heard a game," he said in a relaxed voice with the slightest of French accents. "I'm Laurent, these are Victoria and James." He gestured to the vampires beside him.

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family, Emmett and Jasper, Rosalie, Esme and Alice, Edward and Athena." He pointed them out in groups, deliberately not calling attention to individuals. Athena felt a shock when he said her name.