𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶: 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸𝙸𝙸

𖣘 𝚃𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝙼𝚎 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚃𝚘 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚆𝚎 𝙼𝚎𝚝𖣘

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐅 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 hurried past the lanterns and the roses, now unwelcome reminders

Edward kept pace with her silently. He opened the passenger side for her, and she climbed in without complaint.

He didn't look at her at all. Instead Edward drove too fast down the dark, serpentine lane.

The silence was making Athena insane.
"Say something, please." she finally begged as he turned onto the freeway.

"What do you want me to say?" he asked in a detached voice.
She cringed at his remoteness. "Tell me you forgive me."

That brought a flicker of life to his face-a flicker of anger. "Forgive you? For what?"

"If I'd been more careful, nothing would have happened."

"Athena, you gave yourself a paper cut-that hardly deserves the death penalty."

"It's still my fault."
Athena's words opened up the floodgate.

"Your fault? If you'd cut yourself at Mike Newton's house, with Jessica there and Angela and your other normal friends, the worst that could possibly have happened would be what? Maybe they couldn't find you a bandage? If you'd tripped and knocked over a pile of glass plates on your own-without someone
throwing you into them-even then, what's the worst?"

"You'd get blood on the seats when they drove you to the emergency room? Mike Newton could have held your hand while they stitched you up-and he wouldn't be righting the urge to kill you the whole time he was there. Don't try to take any of this on yourself, Athena. It will only make me more disgusted with myself."

"How the hell did Mike Newton end up in this conversation?" Athena demanded furiously.

"Mike Newton ended up in this conversation because Mike Newton would be a hell of a lot healthier for
you to be with," he growled.

"I'd rather die than be with Mike Newton," she protested. "I'd rather die than be with anyone else."

"Don't be melodramatic, please."

"Well then, don't you be ridiculous."

Edward didn't answer. He glared through the windshield, his expression black.
Athena racked her brain for some way to salvage the evening. When they pulled up in front of her house, she still
hadn't come up with anything.

He put of the engine, but his hands stayed clenched around the steering wheel.

"Will you stay tonight?" the girl asked.

"I should go home." the last thing she wanted was for him to go wallow in remorse.

"For my birthday," she pressed.