Chapter 4: The accident

Penelope POV

I took a seat in the McLaren garage next to Zak. "How far along are you," he asked. "Five months. I found out last month. What's weird is that I still got my period for the first two months," I said. "I am so happy for you and Carlos. Both of you deserve the best. I've seen the way he looks at you. He loves you. You've been together for 5 months but you belong together," Zak said.

"Thanks Zak. I appreciate it," I said and gave him a hug. Carlos and Lando came back with their suits on. Everyone in the garage walked with them to their cars to see if everything is working perfectly.

I just stood to the side to let the people do their jobs. After their done, I walk over to Lando and Carlos. "Go have fun out there. I love both of you so much. I know this isn't an official race but go make me proud," I said and hugged both of them.

Quali started a while after, and it's been rough. Everyone in the garage had their eyes glued to the screen. "My helmet is loose! What do I do!?" I heard Carlos scream. "Shit! How did that happen!" Zak screamed and slammed his fist on the table so hard that it made me flinch.

Lewis tried to overtake Carlos but his car swerved and crashed into Carlos's car. His car rolled over multiple times. Fear filled my body as I saw it happen. His car collided with the wall. I took of my headphones and ran outside as fast as I could.

By now, all the drivers stopped their cars and came running to Carlos's car. The helmet laid a few meters away from where the accident took place. I saw Carlos inside the car, hanging upside down, still strapped in. "Penny come back here!" Lando called for me but I didn't listen. I ran over to just car and cried, trying to strap him loose. At this point, he was unconscious. George, Charles, Max and Lando came to flip over the car and get Carlos out before the thing caught fire.

After they got him loose, Zak came and took him out of the car, carrying him away. I ran beside Zak as we made our way into the garage. He laid him down on the couch and made space for the medical team as they ran into the building.

"He broke his leg and hit his head pretty hard. He's gonna have to go to the hospital ASAP," the medic said and put him on the stretcher they brought with. I watched with horror as they rolled his almost lifeless body on the stretcher. "I'm going with. I'm his girlfriend," I said and rushed to be next to Carlos.

We got into the ambulance and I sent Lando a message telling him that I'm alright and that he doesn't have to worry about me.

As we drove to the hospital, I held Carlos's hand the whole time while crying. I couldn't do anything else but cry. When we got to the hospital, they took him into the ER and told me to wait outside. I was crying nonstop. I slid down the wall and sat in a bundle, crying my eyes out.

A while later, someone touched my arm and I looked up to see Lando. "We followed you to the hospital, but we couldn't drive so fast," he explained. I didn't say anything. Instead, I pulled him close and hugged him tightly. "He's gonna die, is he?" I asked.

Lando looked at me and tears streamed down my face. "He's my best friend. He just can die," he said and held me tighter than I did him.

All the drivers were here except for Lewis. He was waiting outside. "I'm gonna look for Lewis. Please come get me if the doctor's come out," I said and left the hospital.

I saw Lewis sitting on the bench just outside the hospital. He was crying like a baby. I walked up to him and took his hands in mine. "What happened wasn't your fault, Lewis. It was an accident. An accident that no one planned. I don't blame you. No one does," I said. He sobbed and looked at me with a slight smile. "I know but I just feel like I am to blame for it because if I didn't try to overtake him then he wouldn't be holding in between life and death right now," he said. "Penny!" I heard Lando call. I stood up and ran inside with Lewis and Lando right beside me.

The doctor stood there waiting for all of us to listen to him. "Mr Sainz suffered multiple knocks to the head and it may cause him to loose his memory. His leg is broken and two ribs as well. I'm sorry," the doctor said. "Nooooooooooo!" I screamed and collapsed into Lando's arms. Everyone was crying at this point. Even Zak.

My body shook with every sob I let out. Lando was crying loudly. "There is only one thing you can do now and that is to pray for his recovery. You can go see him now but remember. He's unconscious. He might take a while to wake up," the doctor continued.

All of us sat in silence, no one daring to say anything. The only sound to be heard was the sobs and the crying. I stood up and walked with the doctor to the room that Carlos was in. When I saw his body, I cried more. He had a lot of bruises on his face.

The doctor left me alone with him and I walked over to the hospital bed. I took his hand in mine and started talking to him. "Hey my love. I know you can hear me somewhere in there. I just wanna tell you that I'll be waiting here for you until you wake up. Me and our baby. I won't lose hope that you'll get better and that you'll wake up soon," I said.

I sat by his side for a while until I saw Lando come in. "How are you feeling?" Lando asked. "I feel like a bus hit me. I don't know what I'm gonna do without him. How long will it take for him to wake up?" I asked mostly to myself. "Have faith Penny. He will get though this because you'll be by his side through it all," Lando said.

We walked out of the room and joined the rest of the drivers. "You have to be strong for Carlos and for little peanut," Daniel said and gave me a hug. "What would I do without any of you?" I said. They all smiled and we created one big group hug. Hang in there Carlos. I know you can.

Thanks so much for all the reads. If any of you have got ideas for the story, you must let me know in the comments. Love you guys!