Chapter 8: Cheating

Penelope POV

It's been two months since Carlos and I got engaged. Carla is getting so big. I can't believe that she is already 3 months old.

Just the other day, Lando bought her a giant teddy bear and she couldn't stop smiling. "So how are things going with Corinne?" I asked Lando as we sat in the living room of our house drinking coffee.

"It's going nowhere. I broke it off. I know this sounds stupid but I can't get over Luisa. She's the girl of my dreams. The love of my life," he replied.

"I know how you feel. Carlos is the love of my life. If I were to lose Carlos, I'd die of loneliness. I can't imagine a world without him," I said.

"Speaking of Carlos. Where is he?" Lando asked. "He went out to go handle some business at the ministry," I said. "I didn't know Carlos had a serious side to him. I've known him for a while now and he's like my brother. He's always joking around," Lando said.

"He can be serious at times but I fell in love with his fun side. I haven't seen him angry and I don't even want to," I replied.

"I've seen you angry and it scares the crap out of me. I'm actually scared of you. Especially that time that I had to take you to the hospital when you gave birth. You threatened me," Lando joked. "Now you're lying. I'd never threaten my little brother," I said and hit him playfully.

I heard the door open and close and shortly after, Carlos came into view. "Hey bro!" he exclaimed when he saw Lando. They bro hugged and he took a seat next to me on the couch.

"How did the meeting go?" I asked him. "It went well. Hopefully they can sort out the license quick because I don't wanna wait until the last minute," Carlos said.

"Don't worry my love. There is still plenty of time. We're getting married in April so there is nothing to worry about," I said and he nodded.

"It was nice seeing you but I have somewhere to be," Lando said and got up. I hugged him and he promised to come visit soon.

After Lando left, Carlos and I watched a movie while Clara were sleeping in her stroller. Carlos kept checking his phone. In the beginning it didn't bother me, but after a while of him doing it, I decided to speak up. "What's wrong that you have to check your phone every minute?" I asked.

He jumped, probably not expecting me to notice. "Nothing is wrong," he said and put his phone away. "It can't be nothing if you keep checking your phone," I said and got up to take the baby to her room.

"Mi amor, please don't be like that," he said and scratched his chin. "Okay well if you have nothing to hide then give me your phone so I could see what's so important," I said and held my hand out so he could give me his phone.

"Why are you being like this. I already told you it's nothing. Can we just watch the movie in peace please?" he asked. "Not until I know what's bothering you. Give it to me. Right now!" I said, raising my voice.

He started walking away but I yanked him back and took his phone out of his pocket. I ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I took a seat on the closed toilet and unlocked his phone.

Meanwhile, he was pounding on the door like a crazy person. "Penelope please open this fucking door. Right now," he said.

I went into his text messages and saw a bunch of texts from a girl named Sophia.

* I can't wait to have you all to myself.

*Why did you decide to get engaged that annoying little bitch.

* image* Look at what's waiting for you when you decide to come see me.

After that, I felt the tears streaming down my cheeks. I opened the door and saw him standing there, also with tears in his eyes.

The first thing I did was slap him hard across the face. "I am taking the baby with me. You won't get to see her ever again. I am so done with you. How could you do this to me! I gave you my heart and you toyed with it like a doll! I gave you all my love. I wanted to prove to Lando that you're so much more than Max and this is what you do to me! I can't even look at you right now!" I screamed in his face.

He stood there with tears streaming down his face. "Please let me explain!" he said. "Save it. I don't want anything from you. We're done!" I screamed and walked into the baby's room after throwing his phone on the floor.

How could I not see this coming? All men are the same. How will Lando react to what Carlos did? I can't tell him about it. He will suffer so much because of this.

Carlos walked into the Clara's room. "Can you please let me explain. I don't wanna lose you," he said. I laughed sarcastically.

"I told you we're done. Why can't you just get that?" I said as I started packing Clara's stuff. He didn't say anything. He just stood there.

I walked past him and into our room. "Dammit Penny. Fine. Be like that. If you won't let me explain then don't expect me to be waiting for you when you learn the truth!" he shouted and walked out of the room. After a few seconds, I heard the front door open and close.

I finished packing my stuff and took everything downstairs. How could I be so damn naive to think that I could be happy by another man's side. First Max and now Carlos. Why am I so cursed when it comes to love? I asked myself as I drove down the highway to Lando's house.