Chapter 3

Chandra

"We like it Uncle Aug!" Kay Kay answered. We just got finished eating not too long ago when Aug called for his daily FaceTime with the girls.

He'd just asked how they like it out here. Aug has been so supportive with the girls. When Mel passed, he vowed to always be there for my babies and me, and that's what he's done! He treats them as if they are his own. He sends money for their schooling and puts groceries in the house every month. August is such a blessing. I couldn't have asked for anyone else to be a better uncle to my kids.

"What about 'chu Cha? How things goin'?" He asked.

"Everything's going well. You won't believe who works with me at the shop I got a job at"

"Who"

"Teedy Shai!" Kay blurted out.

"She is so pretty Uncle Aug! Why did yall break up?" Chay asked

Before he could answer, Kay added, "And she has a daughter that looks just like y-"

"Kayden!" I covered her mouth before she could finish what I dreaded her saying. Shai is the rightful person to tell him about his daughter. It doesn't need to come from me or anyone else.

"Girls I think it's time you get ready for bed. Tell Aug goodnight"

"Good Night Uncle Aug" They all blew him a kiss.

"When are you coming to see us?" Noonie (Miyah) asked.

"Uh, how bout I come kick it wit' ya tuh-morra afta' school" He said.

The girls blew Aug kisses again and left out to get ready for bed like I asked.

"Aight so back ta' Shai.. " Aug said

"When I went to apply for the job at the shop, she was there. She gave me the job on spot and afterward she treated me to lunch. We caught up on everything. She still looks the same and she has a daughter that's in the same preschool as Kay Kay."

I adjusted the iPad on my lap.

"Damn.. I neva woulda' imagined Shai havin' kids wit' somebody dat wasn't me" He laughed.

"I'm surprised I didn't get ha pregnant first wit' tha way I used ta' tea' ha shit up" He said using his hands to show me.

"And on top of that, we didn't buhlee in wearin' condoms. Ha shit would make a nigga not wanna pull out. Like the way my d—"

"Okay August! I get it!" We both laughed.

"She lives right across the hall from me, too Aug" I told him.

"Ya shittin me Cha"

"I'm not Aug."

"Aight, just so I kno' go across the hall and show me ha' right na"

"Let me call and make sure she's up"

Shai

I'd just got out the shower when I heard Bre downstairs talking to somebody. "I know damn well she's not talking to herself .. Nevermind, I almost forgot who her daddy is." I laughed to myself. Anything is possible with that child.

"Who you talking to Bre?"

As if on cue, someone knocked on the door. I continued down the steps and made my way to my front door.

"Who is it?"

"Me" Cha said, like I didn't recognize her voice. I opened the door. She laughed and welcomed her self in holding and iPad.