Chapter 12 (Part 2)

Top Row: Chaz, Jade, Shanelle
Bottom Row: Chasity, Yaya(Right), Maya

Shai

I knocked on the door twice and stepped back. I brought Jaden by August's house so he could see Bre before tonight's events.

"WHO IS IT!" Bre yelled from the other side of the door.

"Yo mama!"

The locks clicked and the door opened.

"Wassam?" I rolled my eyes at the slang she picked up from her dad. "I missed you mi hermosa princesa"

I'm still trying to get used to not having Bre beside me at all times. It's getting better though.

"I just saw you yesterday, but I missed you too"

I planted a kiss on her forehead and rubbed her hair back. It was hard and white. I frowned my face. Before I could ask what it was, J appeared at the doorway. "Is that my favorite niece!?"

"Uncle Jaden!" She jumped into his open arms. They hugged tightly and Jaden whispered something in her ear. Bre looked at me and covered her mouth while whispering back to him. Jay whispered back and Bre nodded and held her hand out. Failing to be discreet, Jay slipped some money in her hand.

"Bre what's that stuff in your hair?"

I wouldn't be surprised if her answer was wild. I made the mistake of letting her do her hair one time and she used mayo as hair gel. I rolled my eyes at the thought of that day.

"Daddy did my hair and he put this white stuff in it. He said this right he'a tha key ta' success baybeh" she said sounding just like him.

"Where is he?"

"Upstairs. I think he's doing number 2" She said holding up two fingers. "He's been up there for a long time"

I left Jay and Bre in, I'm guessing, the living room in search for August.

August lives in a gated community. His house has to be the biggest one in the neighborhood.

I sat my Celine bag on a random table. This is the kind of environment I imagine myself living in a couple years from now ... just me and baby girl.

Pictures hung on the walls of Chay, Mya, Kay, and Callie. I walked further down the hall and all of Aug's plaques and awards he received hung on the wall. His first two BET Awards sat above all the rest.

I followed the stairway up to the other part of his house. All of the doors were closed, but I noticed one door slightly ajar. I walked towards it assuming that he's most likely in the room. I peeped inside the room and to my surprise everything was black. Black walls. Black furniture. Black everything. I opened the door wider so I could see more of the room. A lamp was on. A big portrait of Mel hung over a dresser. Candles rested on the dresser burning slowly.

"What type of shit is Aug on?" I mumbled to myself.

I was about to step all the way in the room, but I stopped once I heard Aug's voice behind me.

"What ya doin'?" I turned around, cursing myself for getting caught being nosey.

"Uh— I was just —"