Chapter 10

Excuse any mistakes.

August

"Baybeh girl you not gone smile fa' me?" I asked Bre.

"No, I'm mad at you." She said, rolling her eyes.

We're currently on FaceTime. I called to apologize to Shai about earlier, but Bre answered instead. I tried to apologize to Bre too but she's not havin' it.

"You better stop allat eye rollin'. Gon' mess aroun' and they get stuck like 'dat. Keep playin'."

"No they not! See!" She rolled her eyes and rolled her neck this time.

"Aubrey!" Bre turned her head in the direction her mother was. "Cut it out! Now!"

Bre huffed and turned back to me rolling her eyes yet again. She reminds me so much of myself and Shai when we were younga'. Hardheaded and full of attitude.

"Can you stop being mad at me now? I apologized and I don't know what else it's gon' take you ta' fa'give me."

She looked at me unfazed by what I just said.

"Iight, If you don't fa'give me, I'm not takin' you ta' that Frozen shi-, stuff."

As much as I don't want ta' go, I'll go just to get back on Bre's good side.

Her eyes lit up, "Ok, but next time I'm not forgiving you!"

"I'll make sho' thea's not a next time baby. So we potna's again?"

She nodded her head, hit her chest twice and chucked Tha' deuces at me. "Potna's daddy."

I laughed at her. "Iight, la woadie. Who loves you tha' most?"

"God"

"Afta' God, who loves you Tha' most?"

"Jesus" She smiled.

I laughed at her. "Out of me and Ya' momma who loves you tha' most?"

"Uhm... I don't know"

"Iight, that's cool... Put ya' momma on tha' phone."

Shai

"No, I'm not talking to him Cha." Shai said.

"Why not?" Chandra asked.

"Give me a reason why I should."  I said, continuing folding the load of clothes I washed.

"For starters, Aug is still kind of new at parenthood and he doesn't fully understand how parents have to sacrifice some of their time to their kid; no matter if that means taking their child to somewhere they don't want to take them. Also, August is and has always been straight forward with everything he says. If somewhere deep inside that big ass head he's feeling some type of way, eventually he's going to let that be known."

"When we discussed it, he took everything well. I don't understand how he ju-"

"Hol' on luh mama. I'm not done."

I switched the phone to the other side and balanced it between my shoulder and left ear.

"You were wrong as well, Shai. You asked for that reaction to be given to you. Just think about it. You called Aug a hogger of Bre and he told you how he felt. Both of you are wrong. Just like Aug, you're not used to thinking about other people when it comes down to Bre. You've had Bre for almost 6 years. Now that Aug is in her life, you have to get used to her spending time with Aug. Sometimes more than you would like for him to."