Chapter 21

I hope y'all enjoy. ❤️

Shai (in MM)

"Teedy!" Kay tugged at my shirt. "Yes baby?"

"I need my hair did." She said sitting down on the toilet seat in my bathroom.

"Oh really?" I laughed as I filled in my eyebrows.

"Yea! I can't go out lookin' a mess ta'day. I gotta be cute fa' tha' party!"

Today is the day we're having Bre's party. Her birthday fell on a Monday this year, so we're celebrating early. I let her have a sleep over with the her cousins lastnight so that explains why Kay is here.

"I'm going to do it as soooon as I finish my make up. Is everybody dressed?" I applied my concealer.

She shrugged and said, "Ion kno'."

"Go check for me—"

"Neva'mind, they dressed. How you know how to put all dat make up on?" She asked as she watched what I was doing.

"It took a whooooole lot of practice." I looked through my drawer of brushes until I found the one I needed.

"Oh. You ca' put some on my face too when you done wit' yours?"

"What you need make up for, Kay?"

"So I ca' be pretty and on fleek." She said nonchalantly.

"You don't need makeup to be pretty, Kay—"

"Then what you need it fa'?" She asked, still watching me.

"I don't, but I wear it because I like it and I enjoy doing it."

"When I get grown, Ima we'a make up & do hair like you and my momma be doin'... but I want you ta' teach me 'cus my momma don't do it as good as you do." She whispered the last part.

I laughed, "Give me five dolla's and I'll teach you."

She looked at me like I had two heads, "Five dolla's? You want five whole dolla's? She held up five fingers. "Just ta' teach me how ta' put some make up on?"

"That's a discounted price. I don't work for free." I laughed.

"But you ma' Teedy! You 'sposed ta' do it fa free."

"I'm down bad, Kay?"

"Yea, you really is."

"Mama!" Bre ran in to the bathroom. "I can wear some lipstick on my lips today?" She dug through my lipstick drawer.

"You can't have no lipstick if I can't either." Kay say full of attitude.

"Why? It's my birthday, not yours."

I held in my laugh. "Both of y'all can have some lipgloss."

"But I want this!" Bre held up some pink Mac lipstick.

"Glossy lips or crusty lips. Take it or leave it."

I saw both of them roll their eyes, but they both agreed on the lipgloss.