12

There is a slight glow on my face when I walk into my maths class third period. I instantly look at my desk to find Will, but forget that he's always late. I feel slightly embarrassed that I'm so eager to see him, but it's only because I want to ask about his birthday and the weekend.

I slouch down in my chair, pull out my earphones and my book, and read away. For five whole minutes, the day seems blissful. I'm in a world of my own with music and no distractions. For me, that is what the most amazing day looks like. I could read forever. I could listen to music forever. A combination of the both is simply euphoric.

The five minutes pass, and suddenly someone has grabbed one of my earphone and tugged it away from my ear. I glare at the person who has stolen my happiness from me, but my face softens when I realise that it's Will.

He sits down beside me with a cheeky grin on his face as he slides the earphone into his own ear and taps his head along to the beat.

Scott Street, by Phoebe Bridges.

"I like it," he says.

He's said that about every song I've ever played for him. I'm beginning to wonder if he's just lying to keep me happy.

I rest my hand on my cheek and smile to myself, staring at the front of the class in complete silence as we listen to the soft music that always makes it capable for me to finally breathe.

Mr Peters arrives exactly on time, so I have to put my earphones and phone away. He speaks for five minutes to instruct us on what this lesson will be about, and then he hands out the worksheets that we need to complete.

I fill in the first few answers and then tap my pen on the table as I try to figure out how to start the conversation. It isn't exactly my strong point.

"How was your birthday?" I ask.

Will looks up from the table that he's graffitiing on. He seems surprised that I even asked. "It was good. Thanks."

I nod my head awkwardly and fiddle with my hands. "What did you do?"

"Went to as many pubs as we could find, but Brains puked his guts up and I ended up passing out on the street, so we got a taxi back to Ryan's."

"Sounds...eventful."

"Oh yeah. It was great. We're definitely doing it again," he says casually.

I watch as he rolls a cigarette under the table to hide it from Mr Peters. He often does that in every maths lesson, but I think it's because he wants the time to pass. Maybe I'm just really boring and he wants to escape the torturous hours we're forced to spend together.

"I'm...glad you had a nice time," I say shyly, cringing at myself in the process.

Will stares at me for a few seconds, making me feel even more awkward. And then, out of nowhere, a smile slithers onto his cheeks.

I return the smile.

"Thanks-" he begins to say, but doesn't have the chance to finish whatever he was going to say because the teacher interrupts.

"Will! River! Get on with your work! I put you next to each other so you wouldn't speak, not so you would spend every lesson having a gossip."

I shrink into myself, embarrassment overcoming me. But Will just scoffs and leans back in his chair, so much confidence in his demeanour.

"We're allowed to speak. Everyone else does, why can't we?"

I scribble doodles on my work page and try to hide from the rest of the class. It's impossible.