40

The rains hits the water below, making large ripples that shimmer under the moonlight.

Will and I are both soaking. We're fully clothed, but keep our hoods down. I look awful with my hair like this, but the moment is too euphoric to care. This is what we wanted; to be in the rain together and feel it against our skin.

I hate the rain just like I hate the cold winter weather, but experiencing this with Will helps to take my mind off my freezing body that trembles and shivers. The rain pattering against my face feels weirdly amazing, and manages to pull the largest smile onto my cheeks.

I needed this.

I extend my arms and lift my head up to face the sky, closing my eyes softly. I feel Will's hand slither into my hold. Opening my eyes again, I look to my left and watch as he copies me.

I'm in love with his smile.

"I've always wanted to do this," he expresses.

"Why haven't you before now?"

"Never had anyone to do it with. Ryan and the others would rather die than willingly stay out in the rain."

A moment passes by. The sound of the rain colliding with the leaves on the trees and bushes makes it seem like we're lost in the jungle.

"Could you imagine falling down there?" Will asks, his attention now at the bottom of the quarry.

I follow his gaze, glancing back at the water. "It would be painful."

"Suppose."

"We should go swimming in the summer."

Will grins. "Why the summer?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Because it'll be warm."

"We should swim in it now."

I nibble my bottom lip and fixate on the dark water. "What if there's a crocodile?"

He snorts out with laughter, placing his hand over his heart as he does so. "This isn't Australia. Plus, if there were any crocodiles, I'd fight 'em for you."

"You can't fight a crocodile. You'd die trying."

"Better me than you."

I frown with narrowed eyes. "That's not funny."

He shows off a cheeky smile and holds out his hand for me, using his other one to wipe the rain from his face. "Fuck it."

I stare at his soft eyes, then down at his hand, down to the scary water, and back to him again. I reach out and hold onto his hand. "Fuck it."

Together, we run down the rocky hill, being careful with our steps and making sure not to slip on the rocks. He holds my hands and keeps me steady, calming me with supportive words as we climb down. When we're at the water's edge, we both look into the water. I don't know how deep it is, I can't tell in the darkness.

"I'm scared," I admit.

"Me too," he whispers, but with a smile still present. "Let's go in."

He whips off his shirt and trousers, leaving him in only a pair of boxers before he jumps in the water with a big splash. I flinch as the water splats against me, making me gasp because of how cold it is. I fiddle nervously with my fingers as I wait for Will to rise back to the surface.

"Will?" I call out, my heart thumping in my ears.

His body springs back to the surface, allowing air back into my lungs. He laughs and rubs his eyes before motioning me to join him.