44

When we return to school, we pretend like nothing happened. We act like I wasn't just hanging off the edge of a cliff, that Will lifted me back up to safety, that we cried in each others arms and professed our love for one another. We walk through those corridors, linking hands, smiling as though we're the happiest people walking earth.

Evie is stood against her locker, gawping at us as we past, our feet moving in unison. I've never felt more powerful and alive.

I want to dance and scream and play music on full blast. I want to share this feeling with every student I walk past who feels exactly how I have felt many times before. I want to lift them up and help them to learn to smile again, just like Will taught me to.

Will plays our playlist on his phone and then hands me an earphone.

Shake It Out, by Florence + The Machine.

Lola whistles from the end of the corridor, raising her eyebrows at us both. Will and I grin at each other, both shaking our heads at the groups reaction to our public display of affection. One by one, they all join us. Ryan flops his arm over Will's shoulders, scuffling his hair. Lola cuddles into him, giggling as Brains and Beck both join in and squeeze her. Isla smiles softly as we link arms and I rest my head against her shoulder.

We all walk down the corridors, unaware of where we're going or what we're going to do. But that's okay. We're all fine with that; with not knowing what's going to happen or where our path may lead, because right now, in this moment, we're all together. We're happy.

To us, that's all that matters.

We hold onto each other, all connected and all as one, like we're one massive lifeline.

* * *

"A massive house party!" Lola exclaims loudly from her armchair as we try to come up with ideas for what to do for my birthday.

My birthday is on halloween, so usually everyone would be getting slaughtered at parties until they can't walk straight, dressing in tight and uncomfortable outfits. It's my worst nightmare.

"No," I object quickly. "No parties."

"What then?"

I take a moment to think hard about what I want to do. "I'd rather it just be all of us. Not a bunch of people who I hardly even know."

"Okay. We can have a little get together here, all of us," Lola says, smiling around at each person in the room for approval.

"Get slaughtered," Beck says, grinning.

"I won't be drinking," I announce.

Lola cocks her head to the side. "Why not?"

"I don't really like drinking. You lot can, I'll just stick to soft drinks."

"You'll still get involved in the games, right? Beer pong, but with lemonade instead? You know, that stuff."

I nod eagerly.

"Sounds good to me," Isla says. "I won't be drinking either."

"Nor me," Will says.

I smile softly at where he sits beside me, cupping my thigh with his hand. "You don't have to do that just for me."